Gibson Vintage Winder Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Vintage Winder Redux

I don't know if anyone will find this interesting but I did so I thought I would share this. The vintage Gibson PAF slug coil winder I own has a mystery winder base mounted to the table and adapted to do an automated traverse. Up until yesterday I had speculated that it was a Emerson Electric hand winder base but I could not absolutely nail down the make.

Yesterday I discovered that the machine is a hand winder and is still being made! The design remains essentially unchanged since the 20's when it was first introduced. It is intended to be a hand winding machine. Based upon the motor markings my machine is an earlier production version. The machine I have very well may have been purchased by Gibson to wind it's first guitar pickup coils. It was adapted to do an auto traverse in the PAF era. Frankly the machine is terribly slow and way overkill for guitar pickups but if you want one you can buy one new for the bargain price of $4,023.00! Just go to www.laycocksystems.com and give them your money.

Here are photos of my vintage Gibson winder still at the old Gibson plant and a picture of the current production winder.

They don't make them like they used to... We do.
    www.throbak.com
    Vintage PAF Pickups Website
Working...
X