Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello, I'm new here, some of my builds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, I'm new here, some of my builds...

Actually, I have lurked for a while, but I figure that I may have questions about building amps and may be able to answer some.

Some amps I have made:

This started life as a Sovtek Mig100. I added an aux heater transformer and installed the OPT from an old Traynor bass amp and now I use 6550's in it. The preamp tubes have dc on the heaters and there are two bias pots.

This amp is more or less a Marshall 1987 with a few differences:
    1. 6550's for power tubes
    2. dc on preamp heaters
    3. master volume pot instead of 1 meg resistor after tone stack
    4. I used one jack instead of four, since I only ever play one guitar at a time. It goes to two separate tubes, a 12ax7 in cascode and a 5654 pentode. I added the 7 pin pentode after I took the picture. The picture shows the 5840 submini I tried first.

This ended up getting a full tone stack and presence control after I took the picture. It's now basically a 1987 with 5881's and one pentode, one triode input channel.

This is the above two amps with the covers on plus a Ted Weber Smokin Joe II built into an old Bogen PA chassis.

Single ended 807 guitar amp. I am still debugging this one. I ended up rewiring the first socket and using a 6sl7 instead of the pentode.
    www.youtube.com/sicherheit

www.myspace.com/microwaves

Hey Chrome!!,

Fun looking builds. They look like Hammond chassis & cages? I've caught the building bug as well with a 5E3 and three AX84 designs (a P1eX & two SEL's) under my belt. Those four amps have taken almost as many years and I'd like to get a little more productive. I've managed to drag home a lot of vintage components and I salvage organs & other tube audio for the iron & other useable parts. I have my own chassis design (very simple & cheap) and I have worked with donor chassis' & combo cabs.

I like to use odd tubes, my last SEL uses a single 7868 for power. The prior SEL can run any octal and has a base just for a 7591, which is what I use in it. I like your SE 807. I'd like to build one as well with the 807 or 812 or other big ST bottle. Maybe a 7027 or 8417 SE would be fun to try. I have many big power tubes new & used.

I'll post a pic or two of my junk when I can. Keep up the good work.

Scott

Comment

Hi, Nice looking heard you got there. Is the small amp, green and violet, in the stack of three, a Precision Electronics amp?

Comment

The green and violet amp started life as a Bogen. It had 2 el84's and a 6v rectifier. I wired it up like a Ted Weber Smokin Joe II, and it works well.

I used an 807 in the one build after I found a few NOS ones at a flea market.
        www.youtube.com/sicherheit

www.myspace.com/microwaves

Comment

Working...
        X