Which OT for mixed el84/6v6 PP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which OT for mixed el84/6v6 PP

I want to combine 2-el84s and 2-6v6s in parallel push pull. I have on hand a small output transformer intended for two 6v6s with a primary of 6.5k and secondary of 8 ohms. Also have another larger OT intended for 4-6L6s. with 4,8, and 16 ohm secondaries. Will either of these do?
    I am running a deluxe OT with 2-6L6s in my other amp and like the way the small transformer sounds.

Originally posted by allsavy View Post
    I want to combine 2-el84s and 2-6v6s in parallel push pull. I have on hand a small output transformer intended for two 6v6s with a primary of 6.5k and secondary of 8 ohms. Also have another larger OT intended for 4-6L6s. with 4,8, and 16 ohm secondaries. Will either of these do?
    I am running a deluxe OT with 2-6L6s in my other amp and like the way the small transformer sounds.

I have not tested this configuration as yet, but I don't think it would hurt anything just go ahead and wire up either one, and give it a go.

-g

Comment

if you run the first one but use a 4 ohm load you will have a pretty good load matching, but probably not enough power handling. the other one will work, but double the load to get closest (i plug an 8 ohm into 4 ohm tap). it will have plenty of power handling too but be unnessesarily heavy for those tubes.

Comment

unnessesarily heavy ? Resulting in less tonal character than a pushed near the limit (small) OT or "the output will never satisfy the load ???
        Perhaps an OT designed for 2-6L6 might be best. hmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by allsavy View Post
          unnessesarily heavy ? Resulting in less tonal character than a pushed near the limit (small) OT or "the output will never satisfy the load ???
          Perhaps an OT designed for 2-6L6 might be best. hmmm....
          i mean physically heavy, as it would be designed to be able to put out up to ~100w, but you wont be putting out more than 40 at most. that means more laminations and a larger core with thicker wire on the windings than you need. it should sound fine, but i would personally keep it for an amp that uses more of its potential.

Comment

Working...
          X