Peavey standard series 260 mixed up controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey standard series 260 mixed up controls

My reverb is controlled by my bass knob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I bought this amp through ebay. Loved it, it worked great, buzzed a little too much I thought for solid state Peavey, but i was in high school and did not have money for a cap job yet and was too affraid to do it myself. Eventually the volume was not as loud anymore and it got really noisy, and I felt buzzing in my arm while I played. I put it away until recently where i decided to do a cap job on it.
    here's where i messed up, The first caps I replaced were the big power caps off the x-former, and I put one in backwards, 3 times in a row. I was very tired, and all three of those times I used new caps after blowing the crap out of a couple fuses.
    After finally successfully replacing the power caps I turned it on and it was still really noisy, and now the bass knob controls reverb. Did a full cap job, and now the amp is a lot quieter, but the bass knob still controls the reverd and so fourth, I'm saying that none of the knobs do what they are supposed to anymore and even turning all the knobs down, i still get a good amount of volume.
    I checked the x-sistors, all of them, with my multimeter as a diode test. any of them that didn't fully comply, i pulled them out and did the test again. they all passed. I checked all resistors in circuit and none had extremely high resistance. I also checked all the diodes and made sure they only ran one way. Like I said, i replaced all the caps, and i double checked all the values. there is no ic chips, it's that old.

Someone please help me. I'm stuck to this amp, and I don't think I can rest until it's solved. I'm almost willing to replace it piece by piece just to find out for myself what it is. This is my first real amp project, I've recapped peavey before, but never went this in-depth.

If I remember correctly, these amps were very simple and had a one-size-fits-all power supply / power amp plate on the back of the box and the preamp plate on the front of the box which would be different according to which model you have. My first guess would be that you opened a ground path or a circuit trace on the preamp board when you were replacing caps. Do you have a schematic? Since you seem to have a history of reversing caps I would check the polarity and value of every electrolytic that you replaced. Just because you put one in backward does not mean it is bad in the preamp. If it is a main PS filter cap in backwards it will probably explode though. You are simply going to have to troupleshoot. The first step is to go over work that you have already done. Visual inspection under a magnifying glass and bright light first, them measure continuity, ground points etc. Once you are sure that your "repair" has done no harm you can start troubleshooting the problem. These old Peaveys are pretty much bullet proof IMO. Once you have repaired your repair you will probably be fine. Also, make sure that you don't have one or more pots with a shattered element or bad wiper. That should get you started. Hopefully you haven't damaged any active components in the preamp. Since it is discrete and probably all bipolar transistors it will be easy enough to check even if that is the case.

Comment

it seems you do know my amp, and me, but i know myself as well. Before I removed any electrolytics I marked their polarity on the board with a pencil........negative and positive. I do not have a schematic so that is why my testing has been limited.Also, I am, compared to most on this site, a novice. Peavey is offline right now so I couldn't get their number.

Comment

oh me!

It turns out that I put the board back on the faceplate backwards, so thats why the controls were messed up. I give it to peavey for their good measuring.

Comment

Originally posted by kurdtpatton View Post
          It turns out that I put the board back on the faceplate backwards, so thats why the controls were messed up. I give it to peavey for their good measuring.
          God bless dyslexia!

Comment

Working...
          X