Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Optimum distance from spindle to wire guide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimum distance from spindle to wire guide?

By "wire guide" I mean the lateral stops between which I manually guide the wire when winding. (It's the same type of setup as the one on the Schatten winder.) I've been having some problems with the wire wanting to jump off the bobbin when winding (despite having the stops set properly), and I'm thinking maybe I should move the guides.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Don't know if it's optimal, but like someone suggested long ago I put the spool on end on the floor (inside a plastic coffee can), let it feed through a loop in my left hand between thumb and index finger (think the OK sign, or Italian sign for arse - whichever suits) and tension/guide between right thumb and index finger.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kerr View Post
      Don't know if it's optimal, but like someone suggested long ago I put the spool on end on the floor (inside a plastic coffee can), let it feed through a loop in my left hand between thumb and index finger (think the OK sign, or Italian sign for arse - whichever suits) and tension/guide between right thumb and index finger.
      Thank you! How far is it then between your right hand and the spindle of your winder?

Comment

Maybe 6-8 inches

Comment

On the Schatten, it's 5.25" from the axel to the wire guide. I think I also hold my hand about 6 to 8 inches behind that.

I find if I'm winding a shallow bobbin fast, I need to set the stops a little narrower or I sometimes have the wire pull right out from between my fingers and wrap around the bobbin.

I hate when that happens.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

My winder plate is 5" in dia and the guides are just outside of that so less than 3" to the center. I never have hang-up or a jumped wire even at 1700 rpm. I need to find a plastic jug to cut the bottom out of and place over the spool, that's a great idea. I think a 1 gal clorox or white vinegar bottle should do the trick once I de-burr the top with a blowtorch.

Comment

THANK YOU! It's so nice to have a bunch of helpful Daves to assist you

Comment

Working...
              X