Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple octal tube socket question

Hi,
    Haven't done much ( any...?) tube socket replacement... any problem with replacing a 1 1/8" width octal socket (1 1/2" mounting hole center) with a socket that's just 1" width?

The mounting holes match up, but there's mucho "play" between the metal chassis hole and the new socket ceramic insulator. The chassis hole is just over 1 1/8". Is it necessary or desirable to have a close fit between hole and socket?

You say there is "play". Is it an air gap or does it move around?

It should be mechanically stable. Otherwise the movement and vibration from using the amp could damage the tube.

An air gap is just that. Something will inevitably find its way in through the air gap and cause a short.

IMHO - You should order the correct socket

Comment

I guess I should have mentioned...
      I haven't installed it yet, but the only one I have at the moment is 1" diameter. This is for a Traynor YBA-1 bass amp; has just over 1 1/8" chassis hole. Looked around for a top-mounted socket that is 1 1/8" in diameter, but haven't found one. Seem to be bottom-mounted ones in that size, but not top.

If I install it top-mounted as it should be, the metal bracket portion of the new ceramic socket will cover the 1/16" or so space between the new socket base and the chassis hole. Make sense?

It's just that there will be the 1/16" space between the socket base and the chassis hole. This will make it a tad less mechanically stable, perhaps. Not like it'll be rattling around or anything, as it will be secured onto the chassis as was the original one.

Comment

Seems reasonable. If it ever fails, at least you will have the experience to replace it.

I suppose this is really a matter of what you can live with. I'd be willing to bet there are more amps than just your with "work arounds".

You mentioned that you don't have much experience... Have you read up on amp safety. If not, you need to.

I have some experience, others have alot more. The way to continue on this path is to be safe. A jolt from a tube amp will ruin your day and possibly kill you. If it doesnt kill you, it will certainly rob you of the will to work on amps.

Have fun...

Comment

If the chassis hole is just over 1 1/8", could it be this?

http://www.tubedepot.com/sk-b-vt8-st.html

I just installed a full set of these in a Marshall amp and they are a nice tight fit.

Comment

I used those in most recent build, very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee W View Post
              If the chassis hole is just over 1 1/8", could it be this?

http://www.tubedepot.com/sk-b-vt8-st.html

I just installed a full set of these in a Marshall amp and they are a nice tight fit.
              They might have just work..... the hole diameter is a hair under 1 3/16"; it may have required enlarging the holes a bit.

But I tried installing the 1" diameter socket, and it worked out well. Although the chassis hole edges and the new ceramic socket aren't in snug contact (1/16" space), the socket is very stable/sturdy as mounted. Fired up the amp, and it perks along real nice.... evidently no worries.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

Working...
              X