Volume pot trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume pot trouble

Hi, i recently installed 3 single coils in my fender strat, the coil on the bridge pickup broke but was soon repaired, this is no longer the problem as i can tap the magnets and they respond, the problem is my volume and tone knobs, sometimes the volume works and other times it doesent, it usually just crackles, or works when i push it right to top but cuts out when i let go, or its working fine until i try and turn it maximum then cuts out, the solder on the pot itself is abit scruffy but all the connections are in order, i dont think it needs cleaning, can anyone suggest anything, do i just need a new volume pot, please im desperate, im a young gigging guitarist! HELP! Thankyou. xx

You say you dont think it needs cleaning,so we have to assume you tried cleaning.If that is so then the only option is to replace it.You say the solder looks "abit scruffy".Maybe when the sloppy solder job was done some solder got inside the pot.When replacing be careful not to splatter solder into the pot.

Comment

I had the same problem. Afterm much swearing I realized that the the terminals were shorting across the shielding. If you can check the resistance you may find it goes to zero, bypassing the pickups. I don't know an effective way to test a Strat with the pickgaurd removed, but try putting some electrical tape or a card or something between the pot and the pickgaurd shielding, this cured my problem.

Comment

Working...
      X