Mounting Mojo 5E3 Tag Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting Mojo 5E3 Tag Board

I am building my first amp kit after doing a lot of small repairs and maintenance on a good number of tube amps.

I bought a Mojo 5E3 kit, without tubes or speaker, as my first project. These don't come with instructions, however I am figuring things out, I hope.

I finished the tag board assembly and today I dry fitted all the pots, switches, tube sockets etc to prepare for some wiring.
    I have never been inside an older Fender amp, so this question may seem naive, but I am not sure how to proceed.

How do you mount the tag board?? There is another piece of board which I imagine is to insulate the underside of the tag board from the chassis, but how does one connect them and then attach it all to the chassis? Pictures I have seen on the web look like the board is floating inside the chassis held in place only by the heavy wiring, but that just doesn't seem right.

Any expert assistance would be appreciated. I live in the country in SE Ontario and I doubt there is an amp tech within 50 miles.

Thanks.

Standoffs are how I'd do it:

You can pick these up at most places that sell components, and I imagine places that sell computer parts because they're also used to mount mother boards to computer chassis. For that matter, find a junk computer and salvage them from it.
    -Mike

Comment

I can see how this could separate the two boards if there were appropriate holes in them, however, how does one mount to the chassis? There are no holes for mounting in the chassis or the boards.

Comment

I usually drill holes in the board and the chassis and bolt them together with a spacer (pvc-pipe) in between.
        Attached Files

Comment

Yep, one board is used as an insulator. Most likely there are two holes that will line up through both boards, and (hopefully) match up with holes in the chassis. I have no experience with Mojo's kits, so that might be something you have to take up with them if it doesn't seem right.

Doing a search for Deluxe gut-shots is a sure fire way to find out if things are amiss as well. This pic shows the two mount screw locations relatively well:
          http://picasaweb.google.com/mulders/...63463375386370

Comment

I would at least use four of them depending on the boards material even more.

Comment

Mojo's kit is modeled after the original. The tagboard has the blank insulator board fitted underneath and two screws are used to mount this sandwiched assembly to the chassis. If your chassis doesn't have corresponding holes for the locations on the tagboard you can drill them. I believe the screws are panhead #8 self tapping metal screws. See the picture attached for the locations. If your tagboard doesn't have holes for the screws, drill them too. Sometimes the top component board will have the two screw holes and the bottom insulator board will not. They may also be missing on both boards from some manufacturers. Be aware that if you try to use stand offs in a 5E3 chassis the board may be too high and make the fit tight around other components like control pots. Two self tapping metal screws have held Fender 5E3 boards in place for over 50 years and as long as you don't drill too large of a pilot hole for those screws in the boards or chassis you will be fine.

Also see the attached Fender layout for the red dots which indicate the screw locations.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by bnwitt; 02-12-2009, 03:13 AM.
              Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

Hey, thanks to all who answered in this thread. I believe I got just the info I need.
                There are no holes for mounting in either board or the chassis, so I will fire up the drill this afternoon after carefully studying all the pictures provided.
                I am sure I will have more questions as I proceed, but this will get me going again for a while.
                Great help!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X