tapes for Space Echo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tapes for Space Echo

Does this use the same type lubricated tape as the echo plex? I was thinking about buying some in bulk.

does anyone sell replace tapes "ready to install"?

I just saw some on ebay. Do an ebay search for RTL-1. Ready to drop in.

Comment

I haven't used a Roland tape loop in years. Instead, we use 1/4" BASF tape and a splicing block. The tape is much higher quality, and you get a lot of loops out of a single 10-1/2" reel. In fact, I usualy add a couple of feet to cut down on overall wear.
      John R. Frondelli
      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Can I use the same tape to reload an echoplex catridge?

Comment

Yep! It's just 1/4" tape. You need to cut the existing loop on the intake side, splice in new tape, and run the machine, letting the old tape spill through the pinch roller. When the loop runs completely through and the splice exits the cartridge, cut the tape just past the new splice you made and splice it again to make a loop.

On the Roland, you cut the loop to size, run it through and out the tape compartment, put the tape cover back on, and hold the tape straight to let it feed in. Once it's almost all in, you can splice it.

This is what I've been doing in our shop for years. Don't waste time or money hunting down old, crappy tape loops. Just go for it with new tape. The bonus is lower noise, higher quality and less head wear and shedding vs. an archaic cartridge. Unless you own a Fulltone Echoplex, you cannot get new tapes.
          John R. Frondelli

Comment

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post
            Yep! It's just 1/4" tape. You need to cut the existing loop on the intake side, splice in new tape, and run the machine, letting the old tape spill through the pinch roller. When the loop runs completely through and the splice exits the cartridge, cut the tape just past the new splice you made and splice it again to make a loop.

On the Roland, you cut the loop to size, run it through and out the tape compartment, put the tape cover back on, and hold the tape straight to let it feed in. Once it's almost all in, you can splice it.

This is what I've been doing in our shop for years. Don't waste time or money hunting down old, crappy tape loops. Just go for it with new tape. The bonus is lower noise, higher quality and less head wear and shedding vs. an archaic cartridge. Unless you own a Fulltone Echoplex, you cannot get new tapes.

Should I buy "high" bias or "regular" bias tape?

How do these two (high vs regular) differ in operating in tape echo? I remember buying high bias cassette tapes for better sound (I think high bias had more clarity probably on the top end). Would this be beneficial im these type units?

Comment

Just scope out Ampex/Quantegy 456, 499, or BASF SM900 and you'll be OK.
              John R. Frondelli

Comment

You can find some good ebay sellers of this kind of tapes. Just search for roland space echo and they will appear.

Comment

Working...
                X