No announcement yet.

I see Crate's Problem with the Palomino V32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When our kid was about 5 years old, he walked into the room and said something, and everyone laughed. It was cute. Unfortunately, he then proceeded to walk into a room and say the same thing every time he entered, hoping to get a big reaction again. But it was only funny the first time.

Somehow I am reminded of that...
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Who are you guy's talking about...?
      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Why, we are speaking of the incomparable SGM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          Why, we are speaking of the incomparable SGM.
          You can put a one year, three year, lifetime warrantee on a turd.
          You can also put the turd in a different box, with an "Ampeg" name badge; to convince people it's a nice turd.
          But, in the end, it turns out, it's just a turd.

Comment

SGM we know you secretly love Crate amps more than anything in the entire amplified world!! I am surprised you just like to bad mouth them so you can secretly collect them all for you own private garden collection. Saying the same thing over and over get's pretty boring dude. Your jig is up buddy we know your true secret now!!

I think we should send him a care package... Flowers and all... I will ship you a spare Crate 1200H chassis if you need some more flower pots...
            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

a
              Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              Why tack solder the wires to little leg stubs? I would remove the old resistors, clean the holes, and solder the wire right into the hole. They are plate through holes, you can solder them right as we see them in the photo.
              I was going to say that myself but you beat me by almost 3 1/2 years. I just tried doing that trick on a Fender pcb which does not use plate through holes and it did not work good at all. Without the copper through the holes the traces can be lifted if you try to replace a 1/4W resistor with a 1/2W one. (I did not have that problem with all of the Crate V18 amps I had worked on experimenting with mods.)

Steve Ahola
              The Blue Guitar
              www.blueguitar.org
              Some recordings:
              https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

After rehousing my V32 combo I did this bias mod too. 75 ohm resistor seems perfect. The bias idles at 100% now. bob

"Reality is an illusion albeit a very persistant one " Albert Einstein

Comment

[QUOTE=rockon1;332881]After rehousing my V32 combo I did this bias mod too. 75 ohm resistor seems perfect.

Crate bias adjustment tool
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1344.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	832308
                  Always wear eye protection, when biasing amp...

Comment

[QUOTE=soundguruman;332884]
                    Originally posted by rockon1 View Post
                    After rehousing my V32 combo I did this bias mod too. 75 ohm resistor seems perfect.

Crate bias adjustment tool
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]27289[/ATTACH]
                    Always wear eye protection, when biasing amp...
                    Wow I guess you really like Crates. Interestingly enough the US made Palomino V32 is better built than most amp's in its price range. Note the though board solder joints, off the main board jacks and metal shaft Alpha pots. In 10 years of ownership (and gigged) its never given me a problem. Now please go p*ss in someone else's cornflakes. Bob

Comment

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Ill wager a fin SGM gets an alert any time there is a post regarding Crate. An interesting hypothesis to test, anyway.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Wow! Somebody really hates Crate. Could it be a fired former employee? Nothing wrong with the V32 that wasn't wrong with the Vox AC30. And they both have great tone. Many classic amps had short comings due to the maker's goal of profitability. A good amp tech can fix these minor issues. A poor tech or hack just blames the manufacturer. SGM, you aren't doing yourself any favors being such a Crate hater. Plus, no one in here gives a rats pituty about hollow words that are just meant to insult rather then educate. We're all here for learning not snake oil or vitriol.
                        Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

I've had a Crate VC3112 that I use for rehersal and pickup gigs since shortly after they first came on the market. It gets used more than my larger main rig. The only thing I've done is replace a defective EL84. It's also one of the best sounding combo amps I've ever owned.
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Ive bought amps costing 3-4 times as much as the V32 that I didnt like 1/2 as much. Also owned a few Crates and it seems Crate up the anti with the early V series as far as construction goes. It was right before the sell out to Loud Technologies. I owned a couple of VC50's and they ,though older, aren't made quite as well. They are still great sounding amps and with a little care work fine for a long time. Here's my rehoused VC50. Bob

Last edited by rockon1; 02-02-2014, 02:40 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=rockon1;332885]
                              Originally posted by soundguruman View Post

Wow I guess you really like Crates. Interestingly enough the US made Palomino V32 is better built than most amp's in its price range. Note the though board solder joints, off the main board jacks and metal shaft Alpha pots. In 10 years of ownership (and gigged) its never given me a problem. Now please go p*ss in someone else's cornflakes. Bob
                              Oh yeah. Crates make great flower planters, door stops, and boat anchors.

Comment

[QUOTE=rockon1;332885]
                                Originally posted by soundguruman View Post

Oh yeah. Crates make great flower planters, door stops, and boat anchors.
                                "artificial reef" has already been suggested.

Comment

Working...
                                X