Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'color banded' cap replacement

hello everyone !

i need to replace a .15uF 100v cap . its one of those color banded caps (from top to bottom - tan, green, yellow, white, tan) . they look like little fast food resturaunts to me ... this one is a krispy kreme .

anyway , i dont know much about those type of caps , so i was wondering what would be a good replacement type since these arent readily available anymore .

thanks for your time !

probably most any film cap will be fine. What is it in(and for)? FWIW the described colours seem to match the stated ".15uF 100V" value/voltage rating. Brown(1)-green(5)-yellow(4) should be the value (154 = 0.15uF). The white may have been tolerance (I forget--maybe 20%?). The last brown(1) band also seems to match for a voltage rating (100V).

Comment

Originally posted by dai h. View Post
      probably most any film cap will be fine.
      thats what i was figuring . were those old color banded caps a 'high' quality type or no ? or was that just a way to show ratings like resistors ?

What is it in(and for)?
      an old late 70s 'Road' ss bass amp . it couples the inputs to the effects/output mixer in the preamp . i really really like the sound of it and dont want it to change ... for the worse anyway . its the only one on the board . the other caps are all metalized film . im wondering why they didnt use one here as well . were they known for their tone or anything ?

FWIW the described colours seem to match the stated ".15uF 100V" value/voltage rating. Brown(1)-green(5)-yellow(4) should be the value (154 = 0.15uF). The white may have been tolerance (I forget--maybe 20%?). The last brown(1) band also seems to match for a voltage rating (100V).
      cool ! i couldnt find one of those capacitor color code charts anywhere . atleast i know the schem values are correct .

thanks for taking the time

Comment

yeah, it's just using colours instead of numbers printed on the part.

an old late 70s 'Road' ss bass amp . it couples the inputs to the effects/output mixer in the preamp . i really really like the sound of it and dont want it to change ... for the worse anyway . its the only one on the board . the other caps are all metalized film . im wondering why they didnt use one here as well . were they known for their tone or anything ?
        if it's one of the famous "tropical fish" (so called since they have the appearance of colourful tropical fish--probably most famous for their use in old Vox/Crybaby wah wahs) caps, these as far as I know were made by Philips and were metallized polyester film caps (they later ditched the colour coding and went to one solid colour with printed markings for value and voltage rating). If you replace it with the same value (and make sure you don't move signal wires--this can affect sound in amps if the wires are carrying weak signals sensitive to outside influence and they are long, and you end up moving them) you probably won't notice a difference. Use the same voltage rating (or higher).

Comment

The cap color code is the same as the resistor code. The capacitance is in pf. SO 150,000pf is the same thing as .15uf
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            ... The capacitance is in pf...
            ahhh 'pf' , very helpful . thanks Enzo !

Originally posted by dai h. View Post
            ... if it's one of the famous "tropical fish" (so called since they have the appearance of colourful tropical fish--probably most famous for their use in old Vox/Crybaby wah wahs) caps, these as far as I know were made by Philips and were metallized polyester film caps (they later ditched the colour coding and went to one solid colour with printed markings for value and voltage rating). If you replace it with the same value (and make sure you don't move signal wires--this can affect sound in amps if the wires are carrying weak signals sensitive to outside influence and they are long, and you end up moving them) you probably won't notice a difference. Use the same voltage rating (or higher).
            'tropical fish' ? huh . i rather liked thinking i had a krispy kreme in my amp ... oh well . i do have another amp that has a few of those 'color banded caps' in it . i could pull one i supposse .

while were on the cap question , what about those little red 'sausage link' looking caps ? anything special about those ?

Comment

can you provide a picture (or a link to a picture of the same thing)? Possibly I might have some nerdy cap trivia for you.

Comment

oh man id love some nerdy cap trivia !

at the moment though im moving so everything is in boxes and so on . thats why its taken me so long to reply .

i will post some pics by the end of the week .

thanks dai h. !

Comment

Working...
                X