Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baffle mounting on a high-power tweed Twin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffle mounting on a high-power tweed Twin?

I have two questions about a high power Tweed Twin cabinet.

1) What type/size fasteners should be used for mounting the baffle to the cabinet? There should be four fasteners on top and four on the bottom.

2) Where the baffle mounts to the cabinet, the thickness of that plywood on the cabinet is only 1/4 inch. That seems flimsy to me. Is that the correct wood?

Thanks

Hello, I used 10-24thd flat head stainless steel bolts, 1 1/4 long for my 2x12 amp to hold the the baffle to the cabinet. I used 3 on top and 3 on the bottom.
    The 1/4" PINE plywood baffle board is correct for vintage big tweeds. If your baffle is 1/4" and your cabinet front is 1/4", together they would make a 1/2" thickness which is sufficent for your 2x12's. I use 2 Tone Tubby alnico's with hempcones and what I have explained hold's my speakers with no concern and I get a great resonate tone. I hope this helps. Jaime

Comment

Thanks for the info Jaime.

The baffle board on my big box Tweed Twin is actually 1/2" plus 1/4" trim around the edge of the baffle, but on my Tweed Bassman it is 1/4" plus 1/4" trim around the edge of the baffle.

My concern was the 1/4" "narrow panels" 3-ply plywood that is used for the top and bottom narrow panels that are fastened to the cabinet. I thought that they looked too flimsy and not physically strong enough, and I thought someone had replaced those panels with cheaper wood. Turns out that it is stock, as verified on other tweeds.

The fasteners for the baffle to narrow panels on both my amps are referred to as "copper heads" I believe. Are your 10/24 SS flat head screws wood screws, or are they fastened with a nut?

Thanks

Comment

Hello, mine are actually 10-24 flat head bolts with a washer and nut on the inside of the cabinet. Yes the ply-wood wouldn't hold up over time if you used just wood screws. I play with my band at least twice a month or more around here and I've never had an issue with the way I have my baffle held in place. Hopes this helps, let me know. jaime

Comment

Thanks for all the info Jaime!

Ernie

Comment

Working...
          X