Refurbing and blackfacing my Silverface Twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refurbing and blackfacing my Silverface Twin

Hello all. I am in the process of working on my1974 (maybe a 1975) 100 w Twin Silverface with orange frame JBL D120’s. The amp was pretty much functional as is with some minor (I hope) symptoms I’ve read about in other posts that where found to be related to old caps. All my caps appear to be original, the amp was in storage in my home for many years.I was the original owner way back when but sold it and then re purchased it some years ago. I don’t know what the 2nd owner did with it, other than adding the 3 prong ac cord (which was left in the 3 way ground switch circuit) so I don’t know the total history.

My original goal was a recap, tubes and black face conversion. I have a tech background in the printing industry but am a novice with regards to tube equipment. After reading many posts on this site and the ampage archeives, (information overload perhaps) I am no longer so gung ho on doing everything at once. I have decided to go the more cautious route of first doing all the electrolytic caps, tubes and installing a new 3 prong ac cord (busted off ground prong) I plan on taking the ground switch out of the circuit. While I am in there I will check for obvious bad resistors as well (it seems that the ones in the dog house are known to fail due to high temps). I have a good Digital Meter and an old O scope that may or may not work.

After the above work is done, I will test the amp and go from there. Any suggestions are appreciated. I do have several questions regarding the next steps, any input is greatly appreciated:

1. The amp has the original blue non polarized Mallory caps (coupling I believe). I may attempt to leave them in for now. I will research past threads on this subject and also try to find some basic cap tests I can do with a DMM. I don’t have a cap tester. Any thoughts on the old blue Mallorys?
    2. After reading many posts on the subject, I am worried about several issues( i.e. parasitic oscillation, poor grounding etc) with the black face conversion. I read some previous posts where guys have gone to great measures to resolve these issues. How common are these problems? Are there varying levels to doing the mod? Maybe something less than reproducing the entire blackface circuit?
    3. I have found a blackface kit offered by Kendrick Amps for about $35. Any opinions on this kit? I spoke to a tech there and he indicates that I will be able to properly bias my power tubes after installing the kit. From looking at the kit it looks like it is just some resistors and maybe one cap.I did order the book “A Desktop Reference of Hip Vintage Guitar Amps” which has a chapter on this conversion. I found out later that Kendrick includes this chapter with the kit. Oh well, I’m sure the rest of the book is interesting as well.
    4. Any recommendations for where to purchase tubes that are well matched? I am considering Hoffman amps for this. They claim to burn them in (or something like that) for 24 hrs before matching. What brands are good matches for my Twin without breaking the bank?

I would like to again thank all the great contributors on this site. It is uncommon to see such generosity in sharing knowedge that had to be hard to come by. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, Pete

Originally posted by ctcpete View Post
    ...I have decided to go the more cautious route of first doing all the electrolytic caps, tubes and installing a new 3 prong ac cord (busted off ground prong) I plan on taking the ground switch out of the circuit. While I am in there I will check for obvious bad resistors as well
    This is a wise approach. If you do too much at one time, you may have problems that can be harder to track down to one thing that you did.

Replacing the electrolytic caps is a good thing and so is replacing the power cord. The ground switch is out of circuit when it's in the center off position, so I'd leave it be.

My question is why do you want to blackface this amp?

Comment

Thanks for the reply Bill. That is a good question. I am not a giging muscian at this point, mainly just a hobbyist. I enjoy playing my guitars more than tweaking my amps. I suppose part of it is all the negative opinions expressed on the web regarding the Silverface era amps. To be honest, I have never done a back to back comparison. I assume one positive aspect of the BF conversion would be the ability to properly bias my power tubes. My Twin currently has the hum balance pot only. Do you recommend leaving it as a SF?

After reading all the various posts regarding problems occuring after the BF mods, I've begun to consider doing the electrolytics, power cord and tubes and then maybe finding a good tech in my area (NJ shore) to do the conversion (any recomendations?) Iwould love to bring it to any of the obviously talented techs that post on this forum but all seem to be pretty far from my area. Also, I don't want to ship it.

I have limited time at the moment and don't want to get in way over my head and the more I read the more befuddled I'm getting...as I mentioned earlier, "information overload".

Thanks again, Pete

Comment

Originally posted by ctcpete View Post
        I assume one positive aspect of the BF conversion would be the ability to properly bias my power tubes. My Twin currently has the hum balance pot only.
        The bias on your amp can be adjusted with a resistor change or if you prefer, you can install an internal pot in it's place.

My personal feelings are that there are really great sounding amps and there are so, so sounding amps and there are bad sounding amps. I've never found that the color of the front panel told me that the amp was going to sound good or bad before I turned it on. I've heard good and bad sounding blackface Fenders and good and bad sounding silverfaces as well. In some ways they are different animals, but I suggest that you fix up your amp and listen to it first.

Comment

Thanks Bill, good advise. Actually I did come across a site (DIY Guitarist) with instructions from a guy who added a pot for bias adjustment in addition to the hum balance control after he had done the basic maintenance much like I am planning.

Do you recommend any good sources for tubes? I am most concerned with a good matched quad for the 6l6's. I was going to go with JJ's.

Thanks again, pete

Comment

Pete,
            you said you're a hobbyist and don't gig with the amp. Therefore I suppose you won't turn it up that loud at home to expierience the difference of a different bias setting. While playing at lower volumes the difference is very subtle.
            You could have a look here for the differences in the circuits and decide what you like to change:
            http://www.schematicheaven.com/mods/silver2blackmod.htm
            The blue mallory caps are sought after for their tone and if they work I wouldn't change 'em.
            For the tubes you could have a look here:
            http://thetubestore.com/
            There are reviews for the tubes on this site. Very helpful.

Comment

Thanks for the reply txstrat.
              I have read other positive comments on these blue mallorys. I will keep them and then see where I stand after replacing all my electrolytics (all original I believe). It even has the big old paper filter caps in the dog pound.

I'll check out the tubestore, I had another recommendation for them in a private message.

I had found the schematic site you sent as well. I believe i have the aa270 circuit (74 or 75 Twin). I'll check the chassis against the schems to match them up. I'll be ordering all the electrolytics and a power cord (18 gauge,3 wire,10 amp is sufficient I hope) from Mouser. I assume Sprague atoms are ok.

I'll also pull my old O scope from the attic, I'll be truly dangerous at that point.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I am diligently going through many old posts here and on the archives trying to "edgumicate" myself.

Regards, Pete

Comment

Working...
              X