Tweed Twin Speaker Baffle Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweed Twin Speaker Baffle Mounting

I had this in the Tweed Builder's Forum; maybe here is a better place.

I have two questions about a high power Tweed Twin cabinet.

1) What type/size fasteners should be used for mounting the baffle to the cabinet? There should be four fasteners on top and four on the bottom.

2) Where the baffle mounts to the cabinet, the thickness of the plywood on the cabinet is only 1/4 inch. That seems flimsy to me. Is that the correct wood?

Thanks

Anyone have any experience in this area?

I'm thinking that the fasteners and the wood thickness would be the same as on a Tweed Bassman, Super, Bandmaster, Pro, etc. Can someone look at their original or kit Tweed?

Thanks

Comment

Tweed fastening

Get 'hold of Will Dyke (amprestoration.com). He used to do the covering for Kendrick, then started Armadillo Amp Works. He re-covered my tweed Tremolux and Deluxe ('fore I knew better) and did an excellent job. He build cabinets for several years, and if there's anyone in the Austin, TX, area who knows more about tweed/tolex cabinetry, I haven't met 'im.

I would tend to think that the fasteners used would be the same across all the tweed amps. Leo was running a production facility, so standardization would've been a basic tenet of operation. I can't tell you for sure, but I think the screws were 8-32 brass roundheads. The baffle thickness changed for each amp. I think the baffle on the 5F6A was 5/16", but the Twin might've been thicker. Will'd be able to help ya out on that one.

In my '59 Deluxe, someone replaced the original speaker with an Altec 417-8C, which was about triple the weight of the original P12R. The baffle was wrecked during a move from Texas to New England, so I cut a thicker baffle to accomodate the Altec. Now that I have an original P12R, I'll make another baffle out of 11/32" plywood, with a 2" wide strip of 11/32" around the perimeter of the baffle to make it closer to the thickness of the original.

I did ask Will about making a baffle for a SF Twin to replace the particle board. He told me to use 1/2" plywood unless I was gonna use JBLs, for which he suggested using 3/4".

Hope that helps,
      Mike Sullivan

Comment

Working...
      X