Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland RE201 Space Echo issue

Hi,

I can see that there are several users of this forum who knows a lot this kind of machine and I could use a little help.
    I recently bought one and, although it is cosmetically very good and it works, it has 2 problems.

First: when a guitar is connected to it "sucks" a lot of tone (comparing to connecting the guitar directly to the amp) even with the reverb and echo volume turned off.

Second: the unit doesn´t self oscillate when at maximum intensity. Only almost does.

I would like to know if anyone can help me on this issue and if the problem can be solved!

Thanks very much
    Luis Fernandes

Did you replace the tape and clean the heads? The self oscillation problem could be dirty heads... and come to think of it, so could the bad tone?

CJ

Comment

Hi,

I replaced the tape but didn`t clean the heads... I will do it now and test.

thanks very much for the answer!
      Luis

Comment

Hi,

I've cleaned the heads and the problems are solved! Thanks very much for the info.

Luis

Comment

Buy a demagnetizer and demagnatize the heads whenever you change the tape. Recently got one on ebay from Pro Cables Direct about $20 shipped

Comment

Originally posted by rossl View Post
            Buy a demagnetizer and demagnatize the heads whenever you change the tape. Recently got one on ebay from Pro Cables Direct about $20 shipped
            Do you notice improvements in tone and sound quality?

Thanks

Comment

I used to use a 201 on the PA. We used it 5 nights week, it probably ran 5-6 hours a night.

We used to change the tape every week, they were cheap and readily available. The demag helped, when the 201 became staticy/distorted one night so we continued to do it as preventive maint. It made a difference.

Since it doesn't cost much, I would recommend it. Especially since the unit is now 25+ years old. You probably don't know the last time it was done if ever. Since you have magnetic tape rubbing the heads in the same direction, the heads will eventually become magnetized. ust think back to high school science class

I just bought one for an echoplex I just bought. I still have the 201 and I plan to get it out of storage and try it soon.

Comment

Working...
              X