servicing amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• servicing amps?

hi, i hope you guys dont mind me making two threads in a row! i have two amps(a marshall 8240 and peavey renown solo) that im planning on selling soon. they both work ok but i want them to be in tiptop condition for sale. my question is what is involved in a basic service on SS amps? ive cleaned all the pots with crc switch cleaner lubricant and i was wondering if there was anything else i could look at while the amps are out of the cabinets? should i hit the big components with a glue gun or is that unnecessary? thanks for helping a noob out(long time guitar player, just recently become intrigued with the dark secrets of the interiors )

If the amps work without any glitches, I wouldn't bother vamping them up any more - just flick them as they are.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I agree. If they work they work, no point in fussing further.

All the controls work smoothly and without noises?

Jacks all work reliably? None of this "you have to hold the plug over to one side..." stuff? Here in my shop, I buff out the jacks with a brass wire wheel and swab them with Deoxit on a Qtip (Qtip is a US brand of cotton swab) But that is for people PAYING me to overhaul their amp.

Turn on the amp, speaker connected, no input. Turn the reverb down. Now ball up your fist and whack the top of the amp with your fist. Or use a rubber mallet. Whack each end. The amp should not react. if it crackles or something, then there is something loose inside - either a connection or some hardware.

And if it sounds OK, what else do you want an amp to do?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

the pots are all good now after a clean, jacks are all good too and ive given 'em a whack with no ill noises so out they go, thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X