probably a stupid question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probably a stupid question!

i'm troubleshooting a 7-8 year old gibson sg. the problem i'm having is the guitar is not working in the treble position. the volume pot for that position hums at high volume, but no actual sound. i have already replaced the position switch in the hopes that it might actually be a cheap fix, but to no avail! at this point i'm pretty sure my problem is the pup itself. but still wonder if it could possibly be a bad pot, or capacitor. any opinions?

Does it sound the same as when the cord is unplugged from the guitar? Have you checked the resistance of each coil in the pup and the pots?
    -Mike

Comment

mike- the hum i was talkin about kinda sounds the same as if it were working and you just turned the volume all the way up. and as for checking the resistance, i admit i am a bit of a shadetree guitar tech, and i'm just trying to keep the guitars in my band working for as cheaply as possible, so any info or instruction you could give would be greatly appreciated!

thanx-b

Comment

Try soldering alligator clip leads to a spare 1/4" jack. You can then clip it in to various parts of your guitar's circuit, and see where it works.

First of all, disconnect one of the leads from the pickups to the volume pot, clip in the little test jack on both pickup wires, and see how it sounds. If it sounds fine, then you know your problem is in the volume/tone pot, or cap. If it's still acting up when it's completely isolated, then something is funky with the pickup.

Comment

thanks alot lee! i like the alligator clip thing, thats a pretty good idea! and unfortunately it is the pup!

Comment

Working...
          X