DC Resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Resistance

From what i gather the inductance is going to determine the output of the pickup, and depending on the cores and wire used you can reach the same inductance with varying resistance. I wondered if anyone has a preference of higher or lower resistance for a particular inductance, or just the differences they've noticed.

I'm about to start winding some pickups and would appreciate any knowledge people kick my way.

after starting out myself about a year ago ill give you my nickles worth of free advice.. with your first pickups dont focus so much on inductance etc.. learn to wind the coil well then switch the metals around to see the effect that it has. for example a stewart mcdonald keeper is going to sound different than a guitar jones keeper. learn what YOU like first by trial and error. as you get more advanced you can measure and record the effect inductance has on you pickups.. there is no sweet spot because multiple things in a humbucker can alter the L in a positive or negative way... using differn slugs could show a gain while different screws could show a loss thus in theory showing the same inductance when in reality you have made a big tonal change. personally I like low carbon keepers and high carbon screws.

really mess around with evry part you can get you hands on. have fun and most importantly have someone play your variations to you so you can hear it played.

b.

Comment

Originally posted by eggman6 View Post
      From what i gather the inductance is going to determine the output of the pickup, and depending on the cores and wire used you can reach the same inductance with varying resistance.
      For practical purposes, DC resistance and inductance
      are what you measure for quality control over a batch
      of one particular pickup type.

The number of windings and magnet field strength at
      the strings are the biggest factors in coil output.

Inductance and DC resistance are determined by
      the number of windings and the core permeability.

Say that you wind 6 strat coils from the same spool of wire.
      Five of them measure around 5900 ohms +/- 60 ohms, but
      one is 5300 ohms. That outlier has a shorted winding.

-drh
      "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Working...
      X