Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ! Is this a old Gibson PAT No ?

Hello members of the Pickupmaker Forum,
    I have a question on this pickup.It was sold to me as a 1964 Gibson Pickup.
    What do you think ?
    Attached Files

It certainly does look the part. I can't quite see the colour of the wire but it looks reddish or orange. Orange would be a little later than 64. Still has tool marks on the legs. It's too bad the sticker is missing because I think the font would be a good dating clue, as I understand it.
    www.tonefordays.com

Comment

Bobbins look like butryate for sure so yeah I think its probably right, can't see the wire too much gunk in there, DON'T try to clean it out :-) dead pickup dead pickup
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Thanks for reply,
        the wire looks greenish not the regular black Plain Enamel.

Comment

Yeah, that's the last version of the PAT #, right before the T Tops were introduced. The wire looks oxidized / corroded. What's the output and how does it sound?

Comment

Maybe it's just a shadow but the bottom pic o0f the bottom of the plate looks like the top right baseplate screw is out a little, might want to give it a turn or 2..

Sorry I am a bit

Comment

I don't know... the more I look, the more it seems being tampered with...

How much does it read?
              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
              Milano, Italy

Comment

Several things sound alarms to me.. I personally think its a fake.

1) PAFslug bobbins dont have that circle on the top of the bobbin (opposite side of the square in circle)
                2) On the slug bobbin, the circle surrounding the square is too centered. PAF bobbins have it more offcentered.

I dont know a ton about pat sticker pickups, but from what I recall they use PAF bobbins.

b.

Comment

Belwar, PAF bobbins do not have that small circle on the opposite side of the square-in-circle, but some later PAT#s do. I popped a cover off a stock '66 335 bridge pickup a few months ago and its tooling / features are identical to the OPs.

Comment

I've been wondering what was bothering me 'bout this p'up, I just coulnd't put my finger on it... but I know now.

It's the baseplate. It just doesn't look... "right" for a Gibson from that era, for the lack of a better word.

Am I in desperate need of a life?
                    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                    Milano, Italy

Comment

The harder you stare at it the more you'll find fault with it

Its real whatever it is, look in the holes where the magnet wire is, there is oxidized nickel residue in there, now what bozo is going to go to that extent to fake something that is missing its decal? The bobbins are butyrate, thats easily obvious. The tape is real, there is no duplicate of that stuff made today. The soldering has old time resin residue that is also hard to fake realistically. The slugs looks right, there is rust corrosion residue in the screw poles. Put it in your guitar and play, I bet it sounds awesome. Thats the acid test. Measure the bobbin height. The black/white wire is correct for patent number sticker, early patents.
                      http://www.SDpickups.com
                      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by PAF-Boy View Post
                        Hello members of the Pickupmaker Forum,
                        I have a question on this pickup.It was sold to me as a 1964 Gibson Pickup.
                        What do you think ?
                        The screwside may have been rewound. That white hookup looks slighlty out of place and too thick. But it's pretty much all there otherwise. Never heard of nickel oxide dust in the holes before but again, it doesn't matter. Dust is dust.
                        Looks like someone put a piece of sellotape over the decal at one time.

I expect it will sound fine. Let us know.
                        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Hi,
                          I had the pickup installed in the neck position and it sounds close to those old PAF/ PAT pickups.
                          Thanks
                          P

Comment

Working...
                          X