Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How powerful of a soldering iron do I need..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How powerful of a soldering iron do I need..

Hello Guys,

While we're on the subject of solder and tools, what wattage soldering iron do you guys use for those chassis solder points? I was replacing my ac cord today (75 Twin Reverb) and whoever installed the last cord, put the ground ("o" terminal) to the power xformer nut but then also made a solder connection of the terminal to the chassis (which seems like a good idea). I have several low wattage irons but also have a 75 watt Weller soldering gun which would not do the trick. Any advise?

Thanks in advance, Pete

as well as high wattage, you'll need something with a big tip to do things on the chassis

Comment

I have a Weller SP80L 80 watt iron with 3/8" tip that I use for that.

Comment

Originally posted by dai h. View Post
        as well as high wattage, you'll need something with a big tip to do things on the chassis
        ... and on the backs of pots too :-)
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

When you say a 3/8" tip, I assume that is a tip shaped like a flat head screwdriver? My problem may be that my gun only has a pointy tip. Hopefully Home Depot has something I can use. Thanks for the info.
          Pete

Comment

I think mainly (assuming there is enough wattage) it needs to be big more than be a particular shape (which probably dpends on use and preference).

Comment

Anything around 100W with a big tip should work. I keep a Weller 100w/200W dual-temp solder gun that I purchased in Home Depot just for this purpose. Get yourself some RMA solder flux to help things along.
              John R. Frondelli
              dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

A big, flat tip works best. Pointy doesn't disperse the heat well enough.

Sometimes I use it for the backs of pots as well but, my variable temp solder station usually gets hot enough for that.

Comment

Weller SP175

I use the Weller SP175 soldering iron for chassis ground solder joints. Big beast, but it does the job fast.

http://www.all2ools.com/index.pl/fro...ctid=WLR/SP175

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...c=037103474674
                  Warning! Some Electronics devices contain lethal voltages that can kill you. If you do not feel qualified to work with dangerous voltages, refer your repairs to a qualified technician. By giving you online advice, I am assuming no liability for any injury or damages you might incur through your own actions.

Comment

This doesn't always work for chassis joints, but it does work for pot back joint: use the side of your pointed tip to increase the surface area in contact with the solder joint. I've got a 40w iron from radioshack and it does ok if I am patient and use the side of the tip.
                    -Mike

Comment

I use the Weller 80 Watt iron with the 3/8" chisel tip. Works great every time.

You can find pretty inexpensive 80 watt irons with a good tip at Hobby stores that sell Stained Glass supplies. I saw one for $30 at Hobby Lobby.

For everything else I use a Weller solder station WES50 or 51 with a small chisel tip, does the back of Pots too.

Comment

another "trick" that could be tried is a pre-heat of the chassis with a hair dryer to help things along if you were pressed for time or could only get something smaller for whatever reason.

I've also got a butane-powered Weller Portasol (there are several sizes and mine is the biggest one), and that with a big tip is capable of serious heating capacity (or at least it sure feels like it!).

also, you have to careful with some cheap pots (or not particularly cheap ones that have plastic parts inside) since you can damage them with high heat.

Comment

Working...
                        X