tweed Bandmaster PT in Tweed Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tweed Bandmaster PT in Tweed Deluxe

Hello Everyone, First off thanks to everyone over the years for helping me build my homebrew 5E3. Thanks to Al Lang, Bruce, TD Madden for your guy's help with all of the 6L6 mods. I haven't logged on here for a long time but you guys have always showed up and helped me out over the years.
    Well its time for a new Mod. My amp really isn't a 5E3 anymore with all of the mods and everything but it sounds great!
    I bought a MM tweed bandmaster power tranny to replace my MM tweed deluxe power tranny. Right now I have a MM tweed Super output tranny.
    My question is I don't have selenium rectifier in my amp like the schematics show for all of the big tweed amps and I'm not sure what to do with the
    Red/White Bias B+ wire as shown on the MM tranny schematic. Right now I have the bias resistor like the deluxe had only bigger in value for the 6L6 mod.
    Any and all help is always greatly appriciated. Thanks again Jaime

Originally posted by jaimeshaw View Post
    Right now I have the bias resistor like the deluxe had only bigger in value for the 6L6 mod.

The Deluxe uses cathode bias. Usually, a big 250 ohm resistor goes from the cathodes of the output tubes to ground. The Red/white wire is used when you use Fixed bias as in the bigger Tweeds. If you are not going to use fixed bias you should just put some heat shrink tubing over the end of the wire, coil it up and tie-wrap to the other transformer wires.

If you are going to convert your amp to fixed bias, you will need to construct a small circuit to rectify and filter the AC. A 1N4007 is usually used in place of the old Selenium rectifier. It is usually placed on the eyelet board these days.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Tweed Bandmaster Power tranny

I put the MM power tranny in the amp last night, sounds awesome. Yes I just taped off the end of the wire and stuck it out of the way. Thanks for the reply. I will keep it cathod biased for now. jamie

Comment

after playing with it both ways, there's something about the tone "thickness" of a cathode-biased amp that I prefer.

Comment

tweed bandmaster Pt

after playing the amp today for several hours I have to agree it does sound great the way it is with the cathode bias. I know after the new PT breaks in it will sound even better. If I knew how to put a link on here to a sound bite of my amp I would so I could get your guys opinion but not sure how yet.

jamie

Comment

Working...
          X