Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody tried the Mallory RI from Antique Electronics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody tried the Mallory RI from Antique Electronics?

These are the multi-cap cans. I know they are expensive but are they any good? There is no manufacturers website and it seems that the manufactur "CE" may be affiliated with Antique Electronics because they are the exclusive distributor and from the same town, I dunno!!

Anitque electronics is a framed website so I can't post a link

search "Mallory" in http://www.tubesandmore.com/

or browse

Capacitors --> Mulit-section --> FP Type

BTW My interest is for old Traynor and I know that JJ's work great and are cheap but the CE RI look just like stock and appear to have the bend-over mounting/grounding tabs which I like.

Originally posted by tommy d View Post
    These are the multi-cap cans. I know they are expensive but are they any good? There is no manufacturers website and it seems that the manufactur "CE" may be affiliated with Antique Electronics because they are the exclusive distributor and from the same town, I dunno!!

Anitque electronics is a framed website so I can't post a link

search "Mallory" in http://www.tubesandmore.com/

or browse

Capacitors --> Mulit-section --> FP Type

BTW My interest is for old Traynor and I know that JJ's work great and are cheap but the CE RI look just like stock and appear to have the bend-over mounting/grounding tabs which I like.
    I got a similar can cap for my 1960 Ampeg Ampeg Rocket from Filptops. The manufacturer seems to be the same and Fliptops was significantly less expensive. It works fine and looks absolutely original.

Comment

Well that is good news! Did they have the bend over tabs too?

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
      The manufacturer seems to be the same and Fliptops was significantly less expensive.
      AE is $5.00 chepaer the Fliptops on the 20/20/20/20 @450V so I guess significantly chepaer isn't always true.

Thanks!

Comment

I have used them in several Princeton Reverbs and they fit exactly and worked well. Bend over tabs and all.

Comment

CE and Antique Elect. are one and same, I used one in a Fisher stereo rebuild just because it was the easiest route for best layout in the pwr sply rebuild and it did help keep the look, even though I had to put new radials on the chasis in other spots which hardly looked original. My CE Mallory cap tested at the top of it's tolerance new out of the box. I have a friend , pro repairer for30 years, who thinks the old mallory equipment CE bought is on it's last leg and isn't up to snuff. And they sure are spendy. FWIW. But my Fisher sure sounds nice thru my Klipsch or is it my music thru my blah blah

Comment

CE Caps

I have used a bunch of these CE caps, in Silvertones, Fenders, and Ampegs....I have never had an issue with one

Comment

Originally posted by billyboy View Post
              CE and Antique Elect. are one and same
              That's what it looked like to me, thanks for confirming.

I've seen the skeptical comments so I thought a would take a sampling survey to check for myself. So far, last leg or not, they seem to not fail immediately, that's enough info for me to risk the investment to keep an amp looking stock.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy d View Post
                Well that is good news! Did they have the bend over tabs too?

AE is $5.00 chepaer the Fliptops on the 20/20/20/20 @450V so I guess significantly chepaer isn't always true.

Thanks!
                Well...That was several months ago and things change. I did recieve it within a week of my online order. But that was several months ago also.

Comment

CE Distribution is just the wholesale division, AES is the retail division. Same company, it is not a secret.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

CE's FP Multicaps

For what it's worth:
                    Of all the recently made high voltage caps sold on the market... I've had more bad FP multicaps from CE Dist then any other E-caps I use.
                    Within a year or so of use, one of those sections has gone bad in about one out every 3 or 4 I've installed.
                    Not sure why or if I've been getting into a bunch of bad ones.
                    I rarely order more then 3 or 4 at a time so, over the years I've used them, that would suggest there is a chance they were made at different times.
                    That would also mean to me, there is a problem.
                    Anyone else had this issue?
                    Bruce

Mission Amps
                    Denver, CO. 80022
                    www.missionamps.com
                    303-955-2412

Comment

Bruce, did you mean F&T? Never used them but would like opinions on Sprague vs. Illinois, A friend in the busines said he had failures with Sprague.
                      I use the J/J and haven't had trouble but I don't do that much to qualify for much of anything. Weber of Kenndrick use to badmouth the Illinois. Anyone?

Comment

No.
                        F&T is a German company that makes very good 500v/105 degree E-caps!
                        FP is a packaging style of capacitor (typically a multicap) with + lugs on the top, they use it's outer shell as a ground point and they have those little tabs that "twist lock" to hold the cap into an insulator or, as in the case of the many other amps that use FP style caps, the tabs are folded over and soldered right to the chassis. Like the Princeton we have been discussing.

https://www.tubeworld.com/metcaps.htm

Sprague E-caps are normally very good but I think overpriced and IMHO, they are not as good as they use to be. I also have had failures with brand new ones. There is much more air in the canister then the old days.

Illinois caps are OK but you can't over voltage them very much or they will get hot and puke out their guts. I don't see many of those that are rated at more then 450vdc so their use is limited.
                        Most Asian made caps are better then they used to be so I don't complain about them as much as I used to.
                        The JJ multicaps seem to be pretty good... I've used tons of them over the last few years in Marshall type amps since the LCR caps became unavailable.
                        I prefer the F&T axial caps over the Spragues but the Tube Amp Doctor has a company (originally it was F&T but probably now in Asia) that does a really nice 500v cap too.
                        Bruce

Mission Amps
                        Denver, CO. 80022
                        www.missionamps.com
                        303-955-2412

Comment

+1 on the JJ multicaps. I have been using them for over a year on an amp I build and so far they perform great. Been using the 40/20/20/20 and dual 50/50. They do need a Clamp though, not FP style. CE has them at a reasonable price. Mostly they are 1 3/8 or larger. Have not seen a F&T with more than 2 sections, they need a clamp too.

Comment

I was prowling about another amp site and they had pics of some opened up caps and there was as you said " more air" in the Sprague. I hear mostly good things about JJ and the F&T.

Another thing I have done is drill out old cans and put new caps inside it to keep "the look" but its easy to go thru the sides of the old if you're not carefull. Don't know what the heat problems might be with that approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
                              For what it's worth:
                              Of all the recently made high voltage caps sold on the market... I've had more bad FP multicaps from CE Dist then any other E-caps I use.
                              Within a year or so of use, one of those sections has gone bad in about one out every 3 or 4 I've installed.
                              Not sure why or if I've been getting into a bunch of bad ones.
                              I rarely order more then 3 or 4 at a time so, over the years I've used them, that would suggest there is a chance they were made at different times.
                              That would also mean to me, there is a problem.
                              Anyone else had this issue?

Yep. I had one that was bad right out of the box. Made the amp hum like crazy and putting in a *real* 35 yr old Mallory FP confirmed *I* wasn't crazy. Only F/Ts now for that style can cap.
                              The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Working...
                              X