Second Hand Boutique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Hand Boutique

It's time to build a cabinet for my current project. After much consideration, and a desire to do something a little off the beaten path, I've decided on a retro art-deco style. It should look somewhat similar to my rude rendering here.

I've started to gather materials. I'll be building it over the holiday weekend. I'm going to top mount the amp. The box will be agathis plywood if I can get it. If not I'll use baltic birch. I've already got the birch veneer to cover it with. The finish will be a light mahogany stain, satin lacquer.

Maybe my g/f will let me keep this one in the living room.
    Attached Files

Finished Cabinet

Almost finished anyway. It's a little dusty in the pictures. Once the finish cures I'll be able to polish it.

I dig it! I'm really happy I went this style. All of the materials were salvaged scrap. The only things I bought were the grill fabric, and the stain. It took about twelve hours to build.
    Attached Files

Comment

Very cool!

I like that! I've thought about a "living room friendly" style of amp enclosure myself for a future project. How did you get the front panel curve?

Comment

Originally posted by casey73 View Post
        How did you get the front panel curve?
        Thanks.. I used bendable plywood. That's a three inch radius. It's about the maximum you can bend with it.

Comment

I have one of those old cabinets in my shop... it's a wall hanger from a public building's PA system... it can't have more then an 8" to 10" speaker in it though but its heavy.
          Bruce

Mission Amps
          Denver, CO. 80022
          www.missionamps.com
          303-955-2412

Comment

Came out real nice,John.How thick is that bendable plywood?Looks like 3/4 from the back view.

Comment

Originally posted by stokes View Post
              Came out real nice,John.How thick is that bendable plywood?Looks like 3/4 from the back view.
              Thank you;
              The bendable is 3/8ths thick. I used it only for the radiused part, and then veneered the top/front.

The first pictures I posted were of when I fit it together for the first time. It looks a little nicer since I've finished.
              Attached Files

Comment

That's real nice fella. Lounge room / GF friendly amps are definitely interesting. I've been thinking about using old Bakelite Radio shells, I imagine the valve radio jazz purists will swear at me about it.... but my GF bitches endlessly about my amps in the lounge.

Also had thoughts regarding using an old console radio housing, nice looking, will already have a speaker in it etc.

Nice work.

Comment

Thanks newkid; I've got an old Spartan tabletop AM/SW radio (SE 6v6) that has a phono input. I matched up the input, and put a 1/4 jack on it. It sounds ok, but I'm afraid to crank it for fear of blowing the old field coil speaker.

Comment

Working...
                  X