"Vintaging" an AC15CCl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Vintaging" an AC15CCl

Only one minor tear in tolex, otherwise perfect cond.
    It sounded ok at lower settings, pretty cool, got me an amp to replace my amp !
    Speaker went, voice changed, all tubes upgraded [Tung Sols JJs].
    With the TT Hempcone it was sounding pretty good, that and an Alnico Blue is a really nice compliment of speakers, the blue is in a deepslant 1x12'' matching size pine box.
    Still not there.
    Mercury Magnetics replaced the OT and PT, now the amp really opened up, higher volume settings, smoother breakups, 'clearer' overdriven tones, the transforming quality is definitely a big tone factor. Good thing I checked the voltages from the old tranny...took some figureing and re-shipping, N/P once we figured out the needed V's [36v for the reverb], they wound one up and sent it stinking of laquer..went right in ! Re-bias and very nice.
    Still, the EQ doesn't have the treble cut, and the HF's were killin' the drummer.
    Pulling the bright-bleed cap from the boost volume, and putting it where it belongs, on the input jack [120pF], helped, but the HF shunt [500k and .047uf, what I had, I might change for smaller cap] really allows more control over the HF's. Now I can still get very sharp HF's or dull it completly down.
    Dern superb sounding amp I keep sayin'..as I go..really fine unit now, I believe a choke to replace that 1k would help the noise floor and smooth power even more...I read mention of swapping all the signal caps for Zoso's...don't know that I'll be trying that anytime soon.
    All in all it's a lot of messin' around, and just building something similar [the reverb and tremolo are ok-ish] would have made sense, at the time I needed an amp that week, it's very educational changing various components out one at a time and seeing what differences they makes.
    @@Rate that bright bypass cap does far better work as a treble rolloff cap, easy, free mod.
Working...
X