Tubes losing power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes losing power

Recently after about 5-10 mins of playing, my amp's power tubes will completely lose power. When it happens it kinda just fades out as if i was turning it off, but the power switch is still lit up. Just no power to the tubes. I swapped power tubes and the same thing happened; brand new pair of JJ el84's too. I was wondering what would cause this? Could it be a number of things? btw the amp is a crate VC 2110R

Thanks

Well, first, your assumption that the power tubes are losing power, and this is causing the volume drop, is based on what?

You could also try a preamp tube swap and cleaning all the jacks before having to crack it open.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

well they lose their glow.
      When it happens i can watch them do it, like i turned the power off.
      After this happens there is of course no output either.

Comment

The 6 volt AC power from the power transformer is not getting to teh tube sockets. A failing solder connection or a failing connector are suspects.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

cool ill look inside for anything that appears loose/disconnected
          Thanks tons

Comment

it may not look loose. But you could try wiggling things.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

yeah that seems to have been the problem
              I took it apart and made sure all the connections were ok. Nothing seemed real loose but its not doing it anymore.
              Thanks tons for the advise though!

Comment

Working...
              X