No announcement yet.

old onkyo receiver question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mean this unkindkly, but I am not sure you are up to this repair technically. We need you to be able to test those power transistors, which means removing them. It means understanding what your meter is telling you.

There are two transistors for each channel. I already explained the A and B thing.

If it is making no sound and the problem is not a faulty speaker select switch or other control, then it is in the circuits. That means we must now start taking voltage readings. I can ask yo0u to check the voltage at the collector of each power transistor, but then I have to explain what collectors and emitters are and where to find them. ANd once we find the voltage either missing or present we have to move on from there, either repairing the power supply or the amp circuit. Are you pre[ared to solder parts on circuit boards, measure resistance values, and so on.

I appreciate when you see four power components inside and see four speaker connections outside, you are thinking analytically about the problem. Unfortunately the fact both things come in fours doesn;t make them a direct relationship, if you get me.

If you can't justify taking this amp to a repair shop, then do you have any technically oriented friends who would help you? KNow anyone who is an amateur radio operator?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Could it be this simple?

I've encountered some amps that wire their speaker outputs in series. This is so as to keep the impedance (way) above safe levels.

If you have one of these, the speakers won't play in "A+B", unless there are speakers hooked up to both sets of terminals.

Comment

I mentioned that in post #11, but it does bear looking into.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes, you did.

Oops. I jumped in without reading all in detail.

Comment

Working...
          X