Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'65 Fender Princeton - Tube Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '65 Fender Princeton - Tube Suggestions?

Hello all. This is my first post here. Looks like there's lots of good info here.

A couple years ago, I bought a '65 blackface Princton non-Reverb. Most of the tubes, if not all, are originals. I want to start recording with the amp more and I'd like to replace all the tubes to ensure reliability.

My tube schematic reads as follows:

GZ34 (5AR4) - tube rectifier
    (2) 6V6GTA - power tubes
    12AX7 - preamp
    7025 (which I've learned can be replaced with a low-noise 12AX7)

Any recommendations as to which tubes I should go with? I'd like to keep the tone as close to original possible. I love this little amp...

Tom

You could have a look here for reviews of all kinds of tubes: http://thetubestore.com/accessories.html and you can even order them there

Comment

+1 to the Tube Store and their reviews. I've got a set of JJ 6V6 & a Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1 of my Princeton Reverb & couldn't be any happier with it if the good lord came down & re-set the bias on it himself. I do have a few decent old 12AX7s (mullard, rca, telefunken etc) and the Tung Sol had a certain je ne sais quoi about it that kept on bringing me back to it.

Comment

Princeton Tubes

I'd keep the power tubes and rectifier, and run Tung Sols for the 12AX7s, and a JAN12AT7, I've got two Princetons and this combo seems great to me....the thing is.....this amp is so killer, if you put all new tubes in it...it will probably still sound great....you almost can't go wrong.

just put something good in it....

Comment

Working...
        X