Electronics Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronics Newbie

Is there anywhere that I can find the information that would allow me to learn how to create circuit boards and other electronics? I have looked everywhere for comprehensive information and have come up empty handed.

Thank you.

From a theory standpoint, like how to circuits work, or from a mechanics standpoint, like how do I design and etch a board?

For theory: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/
    For mechanics: Eagle + toner transfer method for making PCBs (at least that's how I'm doing mine, there are many, many other ways).
    -Mike

Comment

Training about the theory & math (can't say if tubes are involved) from the Navy.

A free (Windows/linux) capture/layout package I'm using with some success (but not for tubes, yet).

Take the safety warnings seriously - this stuff really can kill you.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I'm looking more for a how to. I'm an electrician so electrical theory is not an issue. I suppose I should have been more clear.

Comment

Maybe it's not possible for you to be more clear, and even if you could, maybe what you're looking for doesn't exist in a single neat package.

Electronics is a big subject, and it's more complicated nowadays than ever. And designing electronic circuits from scratch is a creative process that feeds off a base of knowledge of what components are available and how they all work, and the various standard circuits that they're used in. It also takes a certain amount of creativity and initiative to combine these building blocks, modifying them if necessary, in a way that'll achieve what you want. Not to mention deciding what you want in the first place, and testing that your finished circuit fulfils it.

There may well be no comprehensive howto guide, any more than there's a step-by-step guide to painting a Turner landscape, tap dancing, or blowing like John Coltrane.

You should probably start by building some stomp boxes, or something.
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

thank you very much for your reply Steve and you are VERY correct in your comments... funny enough, what I'm looking to do is specifically build stomp boxes and then move up to tube amps....

Comment

I went the other way, tube amp then stomp box, and the build your own clone kits are nice. I did one of the OD2 kits and am very pleased with the product.
              -Mike

Comment

yeah....but I look at the scematics and get quite confused

Comment

If you want to make pedals your best bet is to get a book called "How to build your own effect pedals-a step by step guide" by Brian Wampler... I bought this book a couple years ago on-line. It's written in plain english and it's the best beginner guide in plain english on the subject (that i am aware of)... It gives you basic definitions, shows you how to understand schematics, shows you how to make a signal tester, how to use a multi-meter, how to solder and de-solder, teaches you what the components do, shows you how to make a breadboard for making a prototype circuit..the list goes on... I cant remeber how much I paid.. but I think it was under $25.00. I hope that helps.
                  sigpichttp://www.effectsguru.com

Comment

Oh I would also, like to add... besides the book I recommended, you should also get some BYOC (build your own clone) effects pedal kits, these DIY kits are sweet, they sound better than most of the boutique versions out there, and they cost way less. So, I think you should get the book and get a couple kits... and than go from there, after building a few kits and messing with a breadboard, you'll be well on your way to being a designer of effects. There a lot of fun, I especially dig painting them when done. I know a web site that sells them... but I don't think I am allowed to recommend sites... so I'll let you figure this one out... lol.
                    Last edited by EffectsGuru; 03-17-2009, 05:26 PM. Reason: Grammatical errors
                    sigpichttp://www.effectsguru.com

Comment

RE : Electronics Newbie

yes, i have also seen many online resources where we can get dvd's, books etc. so if we need to get it online then we can get it..

-------------------------
                      Online Discount barnes and noble coupons

" Success never comes to those who sit and stare; it comes to those only who act and dare."
                      [CENTER]Save your money using [URL="http://www.techbargains.com/vendor_detail.cfm/8/Walmart-coupon-code"][B]walmart coupons[/B][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER]" Ability without responsibility leaves you in a world of negativity."[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                      X