Bicycle Cyclocomputer for Counter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bicycle Cyclocomputer for Counter?

This may already have been discussed, but it seems like it could be an easy and cheap solution. You just put the magnet on your winder, and the sensor in its path. My computer is wireless, so you could monitor it from anywhere. It allows you to set the diameter of the wheel for its calculation, so you could set that to the size of your winding revolution, then use the odometer to determine # of winds...I imagine it would respond better/faster than a pedometer, and the cyclocomputers are pretty accurate. I'm going to test this out; I'll let you know how it works.

Should work... set the wheel circumference to one meter (usually this input is in mm, so 1000), then run it in metric mode so that the distance (in km) will be read in thousands of turns. If it will take a smaller number (100 or 10), you could get it to read in 100's or 10's of turns.

As for speed, a bike wheel usually won't top 600 rpm (that's like 80 kph/50 mph), but the radius at which the pickup is placed will be half or a third of the usual bike installation, which would be ~200mm. So, it will probably be good for 1200 or 1800 RPM (at 100 or 66mm radius).

MPM

Comment

Originally posted by Abquid View Post
      This may already have been discussed, but it seems like it could be an easy and cheap solution. You just put the magnet on your winder, and the sensor in its path. My computer is wireless, so you could monitor it from anywhere. It allows you to set the diameter of the wheel for its calculation, so you could set that to the size of your winding revolution, then use the odometer to determine # of winds...I imagine it would respond better/faster than a pedometer, and the cyclocomputers are pretty accurate. I'm going to test this out; I'll let you know how it works.
      I have a cheap little thing that works OK. I set it up for 1000 turns per km, displaying 10s of turns in the least significant place. You can count to an accuracy of one if you stop at a transition.

Comment

Been using one for donkeys years. I set mine up for a 700mm wheel and counted how many revolutions it took for the counter to reach 0.1 Km.
        from there I compared Kms to known turn counts. It's very accurate actually and of course you also get an indication of speed. This allows you to monitor your wind speed as well as turn counts and it will work forwards or backwards without any trouble.
        It might seem strange to see Kms ticking over and and indicated wind speed of say 120Km/Hr but you'll soon get used to it.
        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Working...
        X