Overly bright humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Possum View Post
    The brightness is an advantage, you can't really put brightness back in a muddy bucker.
    That's true! You get that nice round neck tone from a bright pickup (think Slash), and you can always back your tone control off a hair, or turn down the volume pot a tad to darken it up.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Meowy View Post
      What would make a humbucker overly bright? It is wound with 42 ga approx (+) (-) 5000turns per bobbin (stew mac) with a total DCR of ~8.3KOhms
      If you don't have one already, try putting a nickel cover on it. I love the sound of a bright humbucker with a cover; the cover cuts the highs a tiny bit but in a different way than more winds.

Comment

Originally posted by MKB View Post
        If you don't have one already, try putting a nickel cover on it. I love the sound of a bright humbucker with a cover; the cover cuts the highs a tiny bit but in a different way than more winds.
        Yes, it is covered with a Mojo. I suppose I could try some other screws as well. To answer a few other suggestions I am trying to hand wind around 50 TPL, although as a handwind, who really knows for sure?

I am awaiting delivery of a set of Gibson 57 classics. I'd be interested to hear how my wind compares. Not that I expect it to be in the same ballpark but I am hoping for some resemblence

I was wondering how much does the coil shape affect the tone? As an amateur / hobbiest only who has alot to learn about winding technique I ended up with a bit of a "shelf" or "slope" (as best I can describe it) early on in the wind where the hookup wires enter the bobbin. I was able to compensate for it throughout the wind, but I wonder if that messes up the resonance or any other properties?

Comment

David, if you are going to wind the pickup again, try using a little more tension and less turns per layer.
          Otherwise as some have mentioned try either A2 or A4 instead of the 5 you have in it.
          Bryan Gunsher
          http://www.bg-pups.com
          https://www.facebook.com/BGPups

Comment

If worse comes to worse install 250K pots and/or adjust the cap values for the guitar.

However, I'm not condoning the use of caps ...those tone-sucking b@#$%*ds
            www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post

I tried the copper tape deal grounded, it didn't do enough for me, very little in fact, I was kind of surprised it didn't take more edge off.
              Did you have connection all the way around? I had good result cutting the top off a very edgy humbucker with this method.

Comment

Originally posted by Norcal_GIT_r View Post
                David, if you are going to wind the pickup again, try using a little more tension and less turns per layer.
                Otherwise as some have mentioned try either A2 or A4 instead of the 5 you have in it.
                It's got an A4 in it.

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
                If worse comes to worse install 250K pots and/or adjust the cap values for the guitar.

However, I'm not condoning the use of caps ...those tone-sucking b@#$%*ds
                ...and 300K pots

Comment

Of course, soldered closed, grounded, both coils connected. It works but not in the right way..
                  http://www.SDpickups.com
                  Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
                  X