Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hammond AO-39 -> quasi-Gibsonette (parallel SE) conversion: to continue or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammond AO-39 -> quasi-Gibsonette (parallel SE) conversion: to continue or not?

So this has a bit of a backstory: I played an old blonde ~1960 Gibsonette parallel single-ended amp at a guitar show a few months back, and loved the hell out of it -- but the seller wanted what I considered an exorbitant price, nearly double what they were selling for a couple years ago.

I'd been studying amp design & maintenance / building for a while and had learned almost enough to hurt myself (OK, I'd actually done a couple of mods to my Princeton Reverb without self-electrocution), and so I got the idea that the Gibsonette circuit was simple enough that I could probably attempt a build. So I started looking at designs.

Then, I happened upon two things: (1) a Hammond AO-39 power amp chassis out of an old A-100 organ (2 - EL84/6BQ5 in P/P) for a decent price, complete except for tubes; and (2) a cache of Russian 6P1P-EV tubes -- which are supposedly very similar to 6V6s, but with lower plate/screen voltage ratings (actually very close to 6AQ5W) and they use a 9-pin socket like an EL84. Best part: they are available in bulk lots on eBay from the Ukraine for about ~$2.50 - $3 per tube, including shipping -- so I got 30 of them, which may be about a lifetime supply.

So I got a GA-8 Gibsonette schematic and a 5F2 Princeton layout diagram and started putting together a layout diagram to fit it all into the A0-39 chassis, which has a little bit of a funny configuration compared to guitar amps (see attachment). I had it nearly complete -- and the only other thing to do was to figure out the tranny specs and how to reconfigure the voltage divider network for the 6P1P voltage requirements before I started actually building it. I even started gathering resistors, fuses, power cords, and other parts. The idea was going to be to build it as a head and stuff it into an old antique tube radio cabinet from the 30s, because I think those look cool. Hadn't even started to tear the old components out of the Hammond chassis to begin the build, when ....

I found a ~1959 Gibsonette, complete, recently serviced and in good working order, for less money than I ever expected to pay for one. So I bought it, of course.

But now, what to do with my project? I was kind of excited to do a build, but frankly, I also know it would take a hell of a lot of time that I'd probably rather spend playing. So I could:

- Complete the build anyway, as a learning exercise and to have a second, cool, amp head, even if it takes me months to complete and I've already got more amps than many people would consider sensible;
    - Sell off the components separately, so a Hammond enthusiast can restore an organ and someone else can make use of these oddball Russian tubes for another project, etc.; OR:
    - Sell off everything together as a partial project "kit," together with the schematic and partial layout, to help someone complete what I almost started.

What do you think? Anyone interested in this kind of a project or have another use for either the Hammond chassis or the Russian tubes? Or want my in-progress layout diagram to complete or modify?
    Attached Files

Well, so you no longer need to build a Gibsonette. Why not just build a different amp instead?
    Check out my signal generator for your iPhone or iPod Touch.

Comment

Build something different, or built another Gibsonette to see how yours compares to the other one.

The Gibsonette came in several flavors. The GA8 had no tone controls and then came out with one. The GA8 Discoverer has the tone control added. I have a blond Gobsonette GA8 in here next to me now. But it has the tone control. Says Gibsonette on the panel, but the schematic is the Discoverer
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
      X