Loud hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud hum

While I played my recently rebuilt dual channel amp at quite a loud volume, it suddenly started to hum (quite loud too). I pulled the guitar cord but there was no change.
    When I switched the stand by off, and back on again the hum was gone until I played loud again.
    So far I found that whacking the top of the amp can reproduce the hum.
    Turning the master volume down (pre PI) didn't change anything. Therefore I would start to troubleshoot the power section including PI (haven't pulled the PI tube yet).
    Does anyone have an idea what I should have a look at first?

Pull single power tube, watch, they are hot. If the hum doesn't seem as noticible, then that power tube went bad.

Comment

Same here, the failing power tube is far more likely than the PI tube. Of course anything is possible.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Just to mke sure. The hum was as loud as if you plug a guitar cord in and touch the tip of it with your finger.

Comment

Yep - pulling each of the power tubes in turn is a quick way to eliminate one potential problem. If whacking it stopped or started the hum, its could be something loose inside one of the tubes, or dodgy heater-to-cathode insulation that makes intermittent contact when bumped or heated and warped etc
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
            If whacking it stopped or started the hum, its could be something loose inside one of the tubes
            I'm gonna pull the power tubes one by one to check that

, or dodgy heater-to-cathode insulation that makes intermittent contact when bumped or heated and warped etc
            That's what I suspected first. I've looked over the inside amp for things like that but found nothing.
            Haven't checked with a chopstick under live conditions, yet.

Comment

Hi Matt,
              +1 on what Enzo, tw and R ski said.

I would say one of the power tubes has suffered some kind of mechanical damage and some electrode is loose and moves with vibrations causing the problem ( if one power tube goes off the PP becomes unbalanced and no longer able to "kill" hum )

Cheers

Bob
              Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

if one power tube goes off the PP becomes unbalanced and no longer able to "kill" hum
                Hi Bob,

thanks for helping me to look behind the scenes.
                I didn't think of the power tubes first, cause they're quite new (actually I didn't WANT to think about them ).
                Anyway, I'll check the pair of 6L6's next time I'm at my workbench.

cheers

Matt

Comment

It was the PI tube (12AX7).
                  I changed both the power tubes (one at a time with known good ones) to no success.
                  Each time I hit the chassis slightly with my flat hand the hum came on.
                  Changed the PI tube and the problem was gone.
                  Have another issue with it but I'll open a new thread for it.
                  Thanks to all for your help.

added:
                  Inspected the PI tube a little closer and found the plate structures hit the glas container when I knocked on the tube with my knuckle. Seems all a bit loose inside.
                  Last edited by txstrat; 03-18-2009, 09:08 PM. Reason: added content

Comment

Working...
                  X