Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

everyone is doing backflips over the Throbak paf clone - what do you guys make of ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• everyone is doing backflips over the Throbak paf clone - what do you guys make of ...

everyone is doing backflips over the Throbak paf clone - what do you guys make of this ???

I know he is a poster here, so perhaps he will chime in - saying that, I have a friend who has a few of his pedals, which are some of the most lovely sounding pedals I have gotten to toy with, so I would imagine his pickups are as compelling as his pedals. And he is a man who does extraordinary amounts of research.... which I always think is very important!

Comment

He has the same winder Gibson used on the originals, and he even has one of Gibson's old winders.

He makes some cool effects pedals too.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I smell a Leesona thread coming

Comment

Sam Leesona?

Comment

throbak

I just wanted to point out that as the OP of the thread I have no
            affiliation with Throbak in any way.

I have just noted the reception of these pickups has been tremendous,

and I knew this was the hangout of some great pickup makers.

so what the hell - had to ask !

Comment

Originally posted by trioderob View Post
              ... and I knew this was the hangout of some great pickup makers.
              There you go getting elistist on us.

What about all of us lousy pickup makers,
              hmmm, Mr. Sensitive?

-drh
              "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
                There you go getting elistist on us.

What about all of us lousy pickup makers,
                hmmm, Mr. Sensitive?

-drh

I am not sensitive.

Throbak is "kicking some ass and taking names"

(how that for ya ?)

Comment

everyone is doing backflips over the Throbak paf clone - what do you guys make of this ???
                  I cant comment on the sound as I haven't heard one personally, but I will say that he is coming very close in construction techniques. He has really done his homework. He's using the actual machines used, alloy correct parts (for the most part), and in some cases I believe he's used old wire. I dont think he's trying to emulate a sound, so much as emulate the pickup if that makes any sense. So far it seems to be doing very well.

Too bad the guy is such a douche.

The only step that he's missing I think is Butyrate bobbins. Speaking of which I just got my butyrate bobbin samples today.

b.

Comment

I have just noted the reception of these pickups has been tremendous,
                    Then he must be doing a lousy job of bucking that hum.

Comment

Attached Files
                      http://www.SDpickups.com
                      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Hey that's me. I'm the ThroBak guy. People do really like the pickups. Of course I'm very happy about it. My approach has been to make pickups with the best tools and parts I can get. Through persistence and luck I have gotten the best tools for winding PAF's IMO. Same goes for the parts but there seems to be unending room for improvement here. Supplies change specs. unannounced, delivery times change and that assumes the place will even agree to make what you want to begin with. And then of course you have to decide what your budget will allow when it comes to having custom parts made. And some guys certainly have a bigger budget than me. I make a variety of PAF style pickups that I think are a good representation of some of the best PAF tones out there. But just like everyone else I have to be happy with it first. And so far a lot of other people like what I like.
                        Last edited by JGundry; 03-18-2009, 02:46 AM.
                        They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                        www.throbak.com
                        Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Originally posted by JGundry View Post
                          Hey that's me. I'm the ThroBak guy. People do really like the pickups. Of course I'm very happy about it. My approach has been to make pickups with the best tools and parts I can get. Through persistence and luck I have gotten the best tools for winding PAF's IMO. Same goes for the parts but there seems to be unending room for improvement here. Supplies change specs. unannounced, delivery times change and that assumes the place will even agree to make what you want to begin with. And then of course you have to decide what your budget will allow when it comes to having custom parts made. And some guys certainly have a bigger budget than me. I make a variety of PAF style pickups that I think are a good representation of some of the best PAF tones out there. But just like everyone else I have to be happy with it first. And so far a lot of other people like what I like.

Ok, so your not a douche. :>

In all seriousnous I think Jon's got real potential. He's got what looks like a nice product with excellent marketability. I see steady growth for a while to come

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
                            I cant comment on the sound as I haven't heard one personally, but I will say that he is coming very close in construction techniques. He has really done his homework. He's using the actual machines used, alloy correct parts (for the most part), and in some cases I believe he's used old wire. I dont think he's trying to emulate a sound, so much as emulate the pickup if that makes any sense. So far it seems to be doing very well.

Too bad the guy is such a douche.

The only step that he's missing I think is Butyrate bobbins. Speaking of which I just got my butyrate bobbin samples today.

b.
                            Alloy correct parts? old wire? I'm sorry, but I can't hold my tongue. I've tried several times to get a straight answer from Jon about his "nos" wire and he won't say a thing, not even the year it was produced. He always says, he doesn't want to give any hints of it's origin to his competitors. Well, I don't think telling us when the "nos" was made is going to give away anything. I was interested in his pu's at one point, but somethings fishy. I mean, don't people realize that "nos" could mean anything. That wire could be 5 years old for all we know............. loses some mystic, right? And, you don't need a leesona to wind an authentic paf clone, if you did than why aren't Seymours Antiquity's considered the ultimate paf clone? He's had a leesona forever.
                            Jon's been very successful and his pu's sound good, I don't think they sound like paf's though. Good marketing I guess.
                            One guy I know of that goes the extra mile in analyzing paf alloys and fabricating his own parts based on those results is Dave Stephens. If you truly want an authentic paf clone then check out his Vintage Lab clips on youtube. You'll be amazed at how close his pu's sound like paf's! Almost indistinguishable!

dre

Comment

Originally posted by dretot View Post
                              Alloy correct parts? old wire? I'm sorry, but I can't hold my tongue. I've tried several times to get a straight answer from Jon about his "nos" wire and he won't say a thing, not even the year it was produced. He always says, he doesn't want to give any hints of it's origin to his competitors. Well, I don't think telling us when the "nos" was made is going to give away anything. I was interested in his pu's at one point, but somethings fishy. I mean, don't people realize that "nos" could mean anything. That wire could be 5 years old for all we know............. loses some mystic, right? And, you don't need a leesona to wind an authentic paf clone, if you did than why aren't Seymours Antiquity's considered the ultimate paf clone? He's had a leesona forever.
                              Jon's been very successful and his pu's sound good, I don't think they sound like paf's though. Good marketing I guess.
                              One guy I know of that goes the extra mile in analyzing paf alloys and fabricating his own parts based on those results is Dave Stephens. If you truly want an authentic paf clone then check out his Vintage Lab clips on youtube. You'll be amazed at how close his pu's sound like paf's! Almost indistinguishable!

dre
                              dretot,

Dave's pickups do sound very good. And as far as the alloy testing etc. goes he does know the straight poop on that. In fact I split the cost with Dave on some of the tests and even supplied a keeper bar to be sacrificed for the project. And as an extension of this project I also put up all the $ for an entire order of 45,000 vintage correct alloy pole screws as I had the funds to do it. I happily split the order with Dave and Wade of Motor City pickups as it made the screws affordable for all concerned. Many, many more of these details have been generously and privately shared by me, Dave and other makers that are interested recreating our own version of a PAF. I have not mentioned it before because I don't want to step on any toes. Dave has put a lot of time into the alloys and for him it is a good marketing avenue. I have put a lot of time into the winding patterns and machines. There are so many details that can be finessed that Dave certainly has a claim to making a unique product as do I and any other makers out there. But really Dave is not working in a vacuum and neither am I and neither are other makers out there.
                              Last edited by JGundry; 03-18-2009, 07:14 AM.
                              They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                              www.throbak.com
                              Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Working...
                              X