1950s Genuine RCA Radio Tubes and Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950s Genuine RCA Radio Tubes and Parts

Hi new Guy Here. Just found this place and it seems Kool. Anyway way, I had this old 50's TV for about 25yrs not working and just took it apart and found all this

Now I really dont know much about Electronics. I'm a Guitar player and a Mechanic sooo
    Can anyone tell me if These old tubes would sound Better than the ones out now (if they work) and If any of these caps or anything in this would be good or useful in a Guitar or Amp?
    The hole TV unit has been in my Home for about 25yrs, and not in use for a lot longer than that, making them, I think, all in Pretty Good shape if useable.

i've got a power transformer in one of my amps pulled from a tv from the 40's, that one is probably very usable for an amp. most of the tubes would not likely be designed for audio, but they can be used with some research. i've used 6bl8 tubes (a pentode/triode that is designed as an oscillator/mixer for the tuning unit) they sound fine in a bass/guitar amp. you probably have some similar tubes.

looking at the diagram you have 2 12au7's, which are used as audio preamp tubes. the 6sn7 is commonly used for audio pre's as well. the 6x8 is similar to the 6bl8 i had from memory (same pinout and similar operation). the 5u4 is a rectifier tube that is fairly common in mid-larger fender amps. im sure some of the others are useful too, but may need a fair bit of research to be able to use properly.

are you looking to build/modify an amp, or just use these tubes in one you already have?

edit: the speakers may be nice as well. they seem to be alnico. maybe try plugging an amp into them to see how they sound

Comment

Thanx's for your response. Well right now I'm just trying to access what I have. And in the Future I will try some of the caps in one or Two of my Test Mule Axes, and just save all the others. The Tubes I'm not sure of and the Speakers I'm Dying to hear. Maybe in an Fender Champion 600 or I'll try and make a small Ext cab.

Comment

Don't reuse those old capacitors! I've repaired a few 50s table radios, and the caps are always leaky, shorted, or even with the ends blown out and oozing horrible goop that looks like earwax.

Of course this is just my opinion, I'm sure other members will tell you that a little earwax just adds to the mojo, and replacing the tone caps in an old Les Paul is like putting a Toyota engine in a Mustang Mach 1, or whatever.

Also, yep those look like alnico speakers, and they may well sound quite nice.
        Last edited by Steve Conner; 03-19-2009, 11:55 AM.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
        X