Speaker mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker mounting

Just a bit of advice please on mounting speaker on baffle board.
    Is it best to use t nuts or will ordinary nuts and bolts do, and should I use rubber washers or not. Thanks in advance.

I usually use t nuts and metal washers. Ordinary nuts might get forced through the wood when tightened too much. I've also (only one time) used ordinary wood screws and the speakers still hold tight.

Comment

I suppose a lot has to do with a lot of variables you havent clued us in on.

things like wattage of the amp
      size of the speaker
      thickness of the speaker baffle
      material of the speaker baffle.

personally I prefer T nuts installed from the speaker side and then run a flat head screw from the grille cloth side and a dot of red lock tite.

this makes a stud. slide the speakers over the studs and a nylon lock nut holds everything in place

my son (19yrs old) is a guitarist, and a lot of his friends come to me for all sorts of repairs ( mostly because I dont charge much)

just recently a lot of his buddys with those gawd awfull bump bump car stereo's been dropping by. no kidding this week i've seen 2 15" sub woofers glued in a box with silicone RTV, these speakers weighed about 15 lbs a piece and were mounted verticaly in a hatch back, well I'll tell you they were THE DAMNEDEST THINGS TO REMOVE! after pulling the first one My doubts as to wether they would hold on was clarified!

Comment

Thanks again for replies. Another piece of the `jigsaw` achieved. Amp is 5watts, speaker will be 12" and baffle is 3/8" ply.

Stingray, do you mean that the speaker actually sits on the t nut?

Got as far as I can with cabinet until kit comes in April. Dont want to cover it yet until I see exactly what chassis is like. I think it can be either front facing or rear top panel. I know Ive taken a chance building cab first but ampmaker gave me the spec so if by any chance it doesnt fit I`ll have to make a head and just use cab for a speaker. More woodworking! Great!!

Comment

I would really dig a 5-10 watt amp with a 12" speaker, most of them don't com with 12" speakers at that wattage, usually an 8" or a 10" and their just not the same. Swart makes a sweet amp call the space tone reverb... it's on my wishlist... you can swap out the tubes for EL34's if you want (which is what I would do).
          sigpichttp://www.effectsguru.com

Comment

Amp is a kit from ampmaker in the UK. he suggests a Celestion G12H as the best speaker for the 5 watt kit. He also does an 18 watt one but as its just for home/jamming Ive gone for the 5w. Gets very good reviews. Cant wait to get it so my Strat will sound like a Strat (I hope!!)

Comment

My prefered speaker mounting method.

I like it's ease of speaker replacement/changeover

the lack of a need to remove the speaker grille, one tool removal and replacement

no need to guage the depth of the screw so it doesn't protude thru the grille

do use an overly long screw to acomodate different speaker flange thickness's
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks a lot Stingray. A picture paints a thousand words!!! Got to find some t nuts now!!

Comment

Working...
                X