I'm on a mission ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm on a mission ...

to get a new amp. For Xmas my wife is going to get me an amp. I told her that I want to build a 5E3. I currently have a DRRI and I think this would be a great compliment. After doing some research I've decided that everyone needs a Mission in life. I'll be calling shortly to ask questions and decide on the final specs.

In the meantime is there a layman's term book that I could read before I get my amp to help me with the project? I don't have tons of electrical experience, I can solder, pay attention to details and follow directions; so I hope that this works for me.

Can't wait, you input is appreciated. Thanks
    Jerry

Jerry-

If you're "on a mission," then run - do not walk - to check out the Mission Amps 5E3 kit. I built one last summer, and I thought that the quality of the kit was truly exceptional. Beautiful cabinet, outstanding metalwork and chrome on the chassis, great components, etc.

The finished product not only looks good, it sounds GREAT. Clean or dirty, my Mission 5E3 sounds wonderful.

There are lots of "mods" for the 5E3 out there, but so far I've left mine stock. I recommend building it stock and playing it for a while before even considering any mods.

Obligatory disclaimer: I have *no* connection with Mission Amps other than being a satisfied paying customer.

Hope this helps!

-Ian
    Ian E. Abbott
    Mission Amps 5E3
    Weber 5C1

Comment

Thanks Ian. I can hardly wait. I got the MM upgrade from Bruce and they've been slow to come in. Hopefully shipping any day now. I'm really excited about building this amp. Thanks for your input. Jerry

Comment

I've built three...two "Tweedies" and and his 5F4.

On the first Tweedy I also had sprung for the MM OT but ended-up putting the original back in....at that time Bruce's standard OT was excellent, dunno about now.

The second was an upgrade with his "Super" OT....I run it with a GZ34 CopperCap and small-bottle 6L6s.

All three of these kits were fairly easy to build, and his cabinets now are pre-tinted (I had to tint mine).

Good choice on these kits; quality components, domestic iron, and excellent tech-support.

Comment

I finished my "Tweedy" Mission 5E3 a few weeks ago. What a blast to play, especially turned up loud. The quality of the components is absolutely first class. I strongly suggest you build it stock in order to have a basis for comparison if you modify it. BTW, I'm just a customer.

Comment

Jerry the MM OTs did come in late last week and I sent your kit with the options you asked for the next day.
            I'm thinking you should have it by Wednesday.

Tom the Mission Amps OTs are still first class, made in the USA by a well known midwest Great Lakes area winder and IMHO, as good as the MM OTs at 2/3 the cost, plus they come with a 4 and 8 ohm tap, which the Mercury Magnetic's tweed Deluxe OT don't have unless you special order them for, ahem ... $125.00 each!!! GADS!!
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
            X