5F10 Harvard Homebrew Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow.

That is really fine. You have got to be proud of that amp! It's wonderful to see a nice Harvard recreated like this, and I would love to do one "by the book" like you have done. Thank you for again offering the detailed pictures of your work, they are so helpful.

What speaker did you finally decide upon? What effect does the original style cabinet have on the sound?

I've been playing my Harvard head as often as I can through a friends '68 Kustom cab (closed back/ported) with the original dual Jensen 15's in it. It's magic to play through, and I usually end up getting looks from his wife that it is time to go home. I guess I need to address the cabinet part of the Harvard now too.

Comment

5F10 Biasing reconfig

Alby,
      Can I get a layout of the bias change that you did to your Harvard build?
      What diode did you use? Did you put a bias pot on there,if so what value? Thanks, gtownblues.

Comment

I can't recall the exact values at this time. I have it all in my shop, I will take a look when I get a chance.

Info on building a bias supply circuit from a PT that doesn't have one is all over the forums,Leo did it on lots of his amps, that's how I found mine. I showed it to a tech at work when I first found it and he pulled out a really old manual from the late 50s that showed how it was done, the circuit was exactly the same.

Alby.

Comment

5F10 bias supply

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm thinking a 1N4001 diode but am not certain right now, I've seen them at differing voltage ratings. Thanks again, all help is appreciated.

Comment

a garden variety 1N4007 will do for the bias diode

Really nice job on the amp Alby
            Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I think it was a 4007. I will check it out tonight. I did have to play with the resistors as the voltage was too high for the range of the bias pot.

Thanks Pete. It is a real fun amp to build and play. I got some logos made up that look just like the originals, really finishes off the amp nice. I will update the link at the top with an updated picture when I get home from work.

Alan.

Comment

tweed Harvard

Hi I am new here but have built many 5e3s and 5f1s and even a 5e4. I am wondering if you guys have any pics of the amps Harvards you built and where you got your chassis? Thanks Pat

Comment

Here's a Harvard done by a friend of mine:

Green Eagle Amps - 1959 Tweed Harvard 5F10
                  "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                  - Yogi Berra

Comment

Sorry, I have not been here for some time, life is getting in the way somewhat. I made my chassis from scratch out of aluminum, you can see how the lettering was done in the photo page in the link at the top of this thread. I use this amp all the time, sounds great, it's compact, good volume for an at home amp. Volume at full on and you can have dirt with feedback and still be in the same room. People are shocked at this little monster when I dime it with a telecaster, they are expecting chickin' pickin', hahaha.!!

I think I just saw in a guitar mag that Victoria just came out with a version of a Harvard, can't recall what they called theirs.

Alby.

Comment

Working...
                    X