AmpeVT120 PCB help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AmpeVT120 PCB help

OK all I can say about the engineering of this Amp is: WHAT THE HELL?? I got this in for repair cus the guy said the gain and or volume was not there, diminished. This has to be one of the WORST engineering jobs I have ever seen, & I have seen some piss poor ones. I'm sure this is a good amp but Jesus H. Christ what kind of retards at Ampeg thought this up? Had to take a picture of it first to make sure I put all the power connctions back where they belong as NOTHING is labeled on the stupid ass upside down PCB with no silkscreening of any sort!! I have the Schematic but what the hell good is it when you can't even check any voltages or anything else cus you cant power up an upside down PCB! There is NO labeling of any sort on the PCB!
    What a pice of shit! Excuse me but this amp pisses me off as you can tell.
    Does anybody have a PCB layout of the components showing where things are according to the worthless schematic? I would never buy one of these amps for these reasons.
    Last edited by jayeedublef; 03-24-2009, 03:24 PM. Reason: Spelling

I will preface this with saying I am not trying to be a jerk, so please don't read that into it. Are you or do you work for a qualified service shop? If so, it should be fairly easy to get some more details from Ampeg. If not, it's still worth a shot to contact them. If they won't deal with you (I have no experience with them) then you're left with three options: Keep checking back here hoping someone has the info you need, scour the net with every search term you can think of (I can only find where people have posted schematics), or lastly, and most pain in the buttly; get an ohm meter, the schematic, a fine point sharpie, and your eyeballs together and trace the circuit out using the sharpie to make notations on what should be the component side of the board. Then of course make a drawing for your records if you ever need to work on another one.

Sorry I could not be of more help...
    Eric.

Comment

Ji Jay, welcome to the forum... I guess.

Tell me something, when you walk into a room full of people you have never met, do you usually come in shouting and ranting and raving about whatever pet peeve has rubbed you the wrong way?

Apparently the whole reason this amp is a "pice" of shit thought up by "retards," is that you neglected to find a layout and the board is mounted foil out.

SLM always published layouts to go with their schematics. I made a gray scale scan of my copy of that file. it won't fit here, so I will post it at www.ampix.org in the Enzo gallery there. personally I never had a problem interpreting the foil side of the boards. Tube sockets are a good landmark. Sorry that my original is a reduced scan of the 11x17 the factory provides, but it serves me.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Enzo..

Enzo, I went to your link & all that is there is the same schematic I already have, there is no PCB layout & excuse me but SLM has no PCB layout & if they do I sure would like to see it. I have looked everywhere. & as far as finding tube sockets as landmaks & such sure that is all fine & dandy but I don't have time to spend on a customers amp the hours it will take to find & label points on the foil side. If it was my amp I might take the time. I have never come across an amp like this, why would they not label anything at all? That's my question. If you have to replace anything on the PCB you have to completely disassemble the damn thing. I don't know about you but in my book this is pure piss poor engineering from a technicians standpoint & I would NEVER create such a monster! What's with all the carbon jumpers on there? Anyway I am not trying to piss anybody off here & yes I hate this amp! If you think I came into a room yelling that is just nonsense, this is not a chat room, just looking for answers. I speak my mind & why are you taking it personally? So that is that this amp will always suck in my book & feel sorry for others who have to repair one.

Comment

Originally posted by jayeedublef View Post
          Enzo, I went to your link & all that is there is the same schematic I already have, there is no PCB layout & excuse me but SLM has no PCB layout & if they do I sure would like to see it.
          I found the layout with parts in position. Try looking again.

Comment

Alrighty then

Ok so I found it under "Latest addtions" (this would have been good to know) & thanks for the help.

Comment

If you think I came into a room yelling that is just nonsense, this is not a chat room, just looking for answers.
              Hmm, that's the way it came off to me too, but I'm a newbie on here on don't feel like I have the credentials to take issue with it. No, it's not a chat room but is common courtesy in your manner of interacting with others too much to ask?

I speak my mind & why are you taking it personally?
              From my limited understanding of it he is one of the originals here, possibly even one of the group that founded this site, but I could be wrong. Just be careful about speaking your mind, you can use a lot of words saying nothing at all.

Comment

Maybe its time for a "Vent Your Spleen" forum.
                I'm sure we could all contribute something......

Help the economy Pay a Technician to fix it !

Comment

No, I had nothing to do with founding this place, I am a later addition. Hats off to tboy for our home here. I took nothing personally. As a member of this community, I was speaking up in the interest of maintaining a civil tone throughout.

As to my posting the drawing, I mentioned it was in the Enzo gallery. Scroll down the page until you see "member galleries." CLick that for a list of them and select mine. If you just start looking at postings on the first page, you might or might not find mine. The welcome page contents are always changing. That is why I refer folks to my gallery. My posts will always be there whether they are on the opening page or not.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                  X