1000v p-p class AB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1000v p-p class AB

I found this little article in EDN, I found it interesting.

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6643367...dustryid=44217
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    I found this little article in EDN, I found it interesting.

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6643367...dustryid=44217
    Power supply would be cheap, microwave oven transformers 1Kv 1Amp.

Comment

That is really interesting. Simple yet powerful. I wonder how it sounds since those Mosfets aren't designed for Audio. Not that THD is a bad thing in a guitare amp. It might actually sound better than the typical "audio" devices that get stuc in SS guitar power amps. I suppose it would be cool to use the amplifer as a welder and guitar amp at the same time! It would make for a great stage show.

Seriously though, I'd love to hear feedback if anyone decides to build it.

Comment

You'll get sparks, but you won't get a welder out of that - voltage is too high. You need something that's at the opposite end of the range, more like 12-24 volts and 200 amps.

Pardon my ignorance, but would this need an output transformer to drive a speaker? The high voltage output makes me think that it would, but it's solid state which usually doesn't need one.
        -Mike

Comment

I was joking. Just referencing one of the spec sheet intended uses.

It shouldn't need an OT if the +/- 600 volt rails are held symmetrical. I think some tweaking of values would be necessary on each amp to ensure that the two sides sum to 0VDC at the output.

You have a good point though. With +/- 60 volt rails an offset of 0.1VDC might not be a big deal but up that by 10 x and your offset could go up by 10x as well to 1VDC. I can see where that might be a problem.

I'm no expert on high power SS power amps. Maybe someone else can give us a more informed take on your question.

Comment

The article mentions current limiting of 125ma if I recall. Can't drive a speaker very hard with that, so as drawn I'd be thinking it needed an OT. I'm not sure what the intended application was. I don;t know why one couldn't scale it differently. Driving the output stages from optos isn;t new. A number of Behringer amps are designed that way.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes, at 1kV and 125mA it most definitely needs an OT, I'd say! That corresponds to a "speaker" impedance of 8k ohms and a power of about 60 watts RMS. Maybe you could make a huge cabinet with 1,000 transistor radio speakers all in series.

It was probably intended as a driver for piezo transducers. They're used for micro-positioning in the semiconductor and laser industry. I used to work for a company that had a high voltage piezo driver in their product line, and they kept blowing up all the time. I tried to convince them to redesign it with tubes (and I was only half joking!) but no luck.

Of course you can design a lower voltage, higher current version. I'm sure the circuit would work just as well off +/- 50 or 100V, and you wouldn't need the series cascoded MOSFETs.

Or again, it might be useful as a HV regulator for power scaling, just feed a DC voltage from a "B+ adjuster" pot into it. You only need to build the top half.

Anyway, nice circuit, I'll remember this one
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
              X