1x12 from large aßß pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1x12 from large aßß pipe

That green pipe they use for construction would work great for a speaker cab. If the top was cut at an angle it would self-balance but if then you have an oval. Otherwise add a long pice of dowel is a forward lean support. Good angles would be a plus so you can hear the amp at its best. I made a model - to demonstrate this to my picky bass player bud - from the inside of a toilet paper roll.

To size, just cut it with a band saw. Screw mounts could be wood pieces Gorilla glued to the inside.

A really wide pipe would give large internal volume with minimal height. How much would equal a cab 16" deep (the optimum in my opinion) I don't know. Maybe there is an online calculator someplace.

Easy to paint, and the raw speaker would look cool but exposed to harm.

Why are we using 12' speakers all the time?

Saw one made from column form cardboard!

Many years ago in Speaker Builder magazine, a bass player used the round cardboard used to form concrete to build a cabinet. Used a 15 EV firing down into the tube, figured the volume needed for the height of the thing, and the rear of the speaker radiated 360 degrees. Seems he had a baffle at the top(rear) of the driver. Said he gigged with it a lot, and worked great for bass,(non-directional anyway). I always wanted to try one but never did.

Comment

Amp guys will build a cab out of just about anything!! Doug Hoffman built a GA5 into a plastic electrical box.

Comment

Originally posted by pila View Post
        Amp guys will build a cab out of just about anything!! Doug Hoffman built a GA5 into a plastic electrical box.
        I've built attenuators in gas cans, cigar boxes, and coffee cans.
        Stop by my web page!

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X