Specs for the High Sensitive FilterTronTM Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specs for the High Sensitive FilterTronTM Pickup

The bridge version on Malcolm Young's 1963 Gretsch Jet Firebird.

Does anyone know the DC Resistance, output, type of wire, magnet, bobbins, string spacing etc etc..
    Also with the bobbins, what are the measurements for them?

I know theres a new version of the High Sensitive FilterTronTM Pickup, 2005 i think is the year. Is that the same as the one in Malcolm's guitar?

Thanks,
    Cam
    Last edited by guitarcam123; 03-28-2009, 07:11 AM.

If his '63 Gretsch is original, then the most accurate copy of that pickup will be the TVJones Classic Filtertron. I'd just buy one from him as they sound great and tooling up to make the covers, baseplates, etc would be cost prohibitive, especially when TVJones has the market locked up with his excellent offerings.

greg

Comment

ok, cool

does anyone have a diagram of a Filtertron pickup - like whay bobbins, magnets etc - the way there build/ put together, what are the parts involved
      Last edited by guitarcam123; 03-29-2009, 09:28 AM.

Comment

This might help. From the patent. The slots in the cover are important. A regular closed bucker cover will change the tone. The slots cut down the amount of eddy currents to keep the tone brighter.
        Attached Files
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

And the 1/4" thick magnets plays their part too...

We really should gather all the construction data we have in the threads here in a single thread and pin that for easy access/reference.

Comment

Filtertron bobbin dimensions

I have some NOS filtertron bobbins from the higher DCR filtertrons made after 1979 and before FMC took over production: The flanges measure 11.5mm wide, 63.0mm long. Overall height of the bobbin is 9.0mm, 6.5mm space between the flanges. I am unwilling to sacrifice to measure the coil dimensions, but, fortunately, the plastic is translucent and I can make a pretty good measurement: the core is 5.0mm wide, 53.0mm wide.

These measurements were taken using an inexpensive steel rule, and I "eyeballed" to the 0.5mm.

I also have a chart showing the winding wire gauges and number of turns for Gretsch pickups that I downloaded a number of years ago from a Brazilian music store site, but I don't think that chart is still available on any website. It's in spreadsheet format and perhaps I can find somewhere to post it and provide a link to it if folks really want it.

Comment

Bill, please do your best to post it to the sister pickupedia.info website.

Comment

Originally posted by bill raymond View Post
                I have some NOS filtertron bobbins from the higher DCR filtertrons made after 1979 and before FMC took over production: The flanges measure 11.5mm wide, 63.0mm long. Overall height of the bobbin is 9.0mm, 6.5mm space between the flanges. I am unwilling to sacrifice to measure the coil dimensions, but, fortunately, the plastic is translucent and I can make a pretty good measurement: the core is 5.0mm wide, 53.0mm wide.

These measurements were taken using an inexpensive steel rule, and I "eyeballed" to the 0.5mm.

I also have a chart showing the winding wire gauges and number of turns for Gretsch pickups that I downloaded a number of years ago from a Brazilian music store site, but I don't think that chart is still available on any website. It's in spreadsheet format and perhaps I can find somewhere to post it and provide a link to it if folks really want it.
                Thankyou very much. And yes that link is greatly appreciated

Comment

Gretsch Pickup info chart

OK, you should be able to find it here: http://www.scribd.com/share/upload/1...vu9phtq146bwk9.

I'll check this link after I post it to be sure it takes you where you want to go.

Comment

post to pickupedia

David, I have this file in .xls format, which is not an acceptable format to upload to pickupedia. I'll work on converting it to a text or graphics file and post it when I can. Meanwhile, the link I gave in my post above seems to work just fine, so the info is available to anyone who wants it.

Comment

HTML version here

I just genned up a quick and dirty HTML version of the chart
                      so someone else can put it up on Pickupedia.info

http://www.salvarsan.org/pickups/GretschPickupInfo.html

-drh
                      "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Working...
                      X