Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a sound clip of a 5D4 super pushed hard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a sound clip of a 5D4 super pushed hard?

I'm interested in hearing the effect of the paraphase PI.

Didn't Jimmy Page play a little Supro with a paraphrase PI (or something like that) on the Stairway to Heaven solo? (I could be wrong)
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I recently built me an amp based on the Gibson GA-40 circuit (5879 - 12AX7 - 2x6V6 - NOS 5Y3) reduced by the tremolo channel which has this paraphase PI thing.
      With the 12AX7 it distorted too much for my tastes so I swapped it with a
      12AT7 which is fine for me. I plan to rewire the PI for a 6SL7 in the near future to find out the tonal difference.

I posted a small sound clip here - http://www.tube-town.de/ttforum/index.php?topic=8873.60 - right on the bottom of page 5 (BK Shuffle). It was recorded with a Shure SM57 and a bit delay added in the recorder when mixing. The guitar is a P90 equipped Gibson ES135 in the middle position with the tone a bit rolled off on the treble pickup.

Maybe it helps you a liitle bit to get an impression although the 5D4 and the GA-40 still are different beasts (I also have a 5F4 clone and like the GA-40 better due to more tonal warmth but I don't know how much influence the PI has on my prefence. I assume it is more induced by rhe old 15" speaker an the 6V6 power section).

Comment

Look at this, it should get you basically what you are looking for, and quite delicious at the very same time. I love that tone, of course the tone he gets with the 1955 Tele and tweed bassman is dreamy also... :-)

Get That Classic Fender Sound - Jim Weider 1 - YouTube

I started it basically where it starts the main part. Anyone who hasn't really needs to watch this whole video, as it's all on youtube. I might have to watch it again sometime, even though I watched it through and through, just last month...

Comment

From Wiki:

The extended Jimmy Page guitar solo in the song's final section was played for the recording on a 1959 Fender Telecaster given to him by Jeff Beck (an instrument he used extensively with the Yardbirds)[14] plugged into a Supro amplifier,[17] although in an interview he gave to Guitar World magazine, Page also claimed, "It could have been a Marshall, but I can't remember".[11] Three different improvised solos were recorded, with Page agonising about deciding which to keep. Page later revealed, "I did have the first phrase worked out, and then there was the link phrase. I did check them out beforehand before the tape ran."
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
          X