Strain relief when replacing 2-prong power cords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strain relief when replacing 2-prong power cords

As I'm sure all y'all who have performed the 2 to 3-prong power cords operation know, the old strain relief never works with the new, fatter cord. I'm curious what everybody's preferred way of dealing with this is. When it was my amp or it was something that didn't have much vintage value, I've reamed or drilled out the hole to use a larger strain relief. A few times when the amp did have some vintage value (or I just wanted to torture myself) I've cut away a bunch of the plastic the strain relief to accomodate the larger cord diameter. I've found though that in some cases the new cord is just too big for this to work. I've also heard of using rubber grommits and zip ties around the cable on either side to keep the cable from pushing in or pulling out.

I suppose one other thing to try would be smaller cords. Most hardware store cords are 16g or 14g when I'm sure 18g would be fine for most amps.

Exactly, use smaller cords. Guitar amps don;t need 14ga wires. Replacement cords are often heavy, and buyign extension cords and lopping off the end is about the same. But a lot of those detachable power cords that everything uses are small diameter. Lop the female end off one of those.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Tie wraps and rubber grommets are a bogus fix that might get you slapped with a bigger bill if you need to bring it into a shop at some point. Do like Enzo said and get an extension cord that will fit the original SRB. Many times, we will do the same thing. Another good source are the ubiquitous IEC cables everyone seems to have laying around these days.
      John R. Frondelli
      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Mouser has an entire section of Heyco strain reliefs on page 1814.
        They have round holes (instead of those PITA ovals) and are inexpensive (10-25 cents each).

The hardest part seems to be picking the correct size for the cable you have on hand.
        See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
        http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

Thanks John, I should have used the term IEC cable instead of just detachable. Those are the ones I meant. They are a lot easier to find in skinny than regular replacement cords.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I got a couple 18g cords to keep on hand. Seems like I end up replacing a couple a year for either me or friends I don't want to die.

Thanks for the tip on the Heyco strain reliefs, PRNDL. I'll have to order a few bucks worth in various sizes next time I do a mouser order.

I actually have a handfull of those IEC cables sitting around for emergency replacements. I know aplace that's got a million of them for a buck each. The problem I have with them is the vast majority of them seem to be only six or even 5 feet long and that's just too short in my opinion. I had to re-replace the cords in a couple of my amps because I got tired of not being able to reach the outlets or put my amp where I wanted it at gigs.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ptron;100598]Thanks for the tip on the Heyco strain reliefs, PRNDL. I'll have to order a few bucks worth in various sizes next time I do a mouser order.[QUOTE]

I called Heyco and they recommended part number 836-1150 for 1/4" AC cords.
              See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
              http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

It's a hassle to track down exactly what Heyco number you need for a given cord. I used to just file down the exsisting part until the new cord fits. I got tired of that and bought some bulk 16/3 wire and install a replacement plug. The wire usually fits with little if any modification. A few years ago I bought the special pliers it takes to install/remove those Heyco strain reliefs and never regret the $50 bucks it cost.

IIRC the UL cord pull test was 25 pounds for 5 minutes no creeping and no twisting.
                WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
                  A few years ago I bought the special pliers it takes to install/remove those Heyco strain reliefs and never regret the $50 bucks it cost.
                  I second that! It really killed me to spend that much on that tool, but it makes installs so much easier.

Comment

I prefer IEC sockets, they unplug when you trip over the cord but replacement is very easy

Comment

Working...
                    X