Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender vs Marshall cap anxiety

Hi All,
    I am curious about caps… I’ve seen some tone circuit mods called plexi and pre-CBS .. now I know that the caps are the biggest difference… so here’s my question…. What kind of caps did Marshall use during the early plexi years and what style of cap did fender use in the pre- CBS days
    thank you all in advance for your help

Bill

marshall used a number of different brands such as the Philips "mustard" polyesters (probably the most famous) as well as Dubilier, TCC, Wima, etc. Smaller caps were ceramic, mica or a mix. Old style dogbone shape or disc for the ceramics (brands such as Murata, Lemco, etc.) flat rectangular for the micas (Lemco, TCC, RS, etc.).

Comment

Pre CBS Fender Tone and Coupling Caps

The old Mallory blue molded caps were film/foil polyester as opposed to aluminum deposited on the polyester dielectric (metalized). The SBE 225s fit the bill and sound identical to me. The external covering, whether it be blue plastic, orange drop, mustard or any other table condiment is there to merely to seal the cap and can only effect the tone if you are looking directly at them.

Here in Nashville EVERYONE listens with their eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
        The old Mallory blue molded caps were film/foil polyester as opposed to aluminum deposited on the polyester dielectric (metalized). The SBE 225s fit the bill and sound identical to me. The external covering, whether it be blue plastic, orange drop, mustard or any other table condiment is there to merely to seal the cap and can only effect the tone if you are looking directly at them.

Here in Nashville EVERYONE listens with their eyes.

Hi Smitty

Can you tell which supplier does offer those SBE 225s?

Many tia!
        Love, peace & loudness,
        Chris
        http://www.CMWamps.com

Comment

Sure, Man

Originally posted by Chris / CMW amps View Post
          Hi Smitty

Can you tell which supplier does offer those SBE 225s?

Many tia!
          Chris,

mouser.com

Mouser Part number 75-225P(value). You can search 75-225P and the site will list all the values.

Vishay/Sprague part number 225P10494XD3. As you know, the 104 portion of the part number is the value (10 plus 4 zeros pF = 0.1uF).

Can you get Mouser parts shipped to the Netherlands?

Question for you. What's the deal with the lead free mandate? Do you still use lead/tin solder for guitar amps over there or are you required to use tin/antimony now?

Smitty

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
            Chris,

mouser.com

Mouser Part number 75-225P(value). You can search 75-225P and the site will list all the values.

Vishay/Sprague part number 225P10494XD3. As you know, the 104 portion of the part number is the value (10 plus 4 zeros pF = 0.1uF).

Can you get Mouser parts shipped to the Netherlands?

Question for you. What's the deal with the lead free mandate? Do you still use lead/tin solder for guitar amps over there or are you required to use tin/antimony now?

Smitty
            Thanks Smitty

I did order other parts from Mouser a few years ago so I hope they will ship these items too

lead free mandate:
            it's a pita
            I'm allowed to use "old" solder for repairs and mods,
            a tech buddy did tell me the new solder will be "ok" within a few years, most modern parts aren't made for higher solder temps. required with this solder and it seems to be a really big problem for companies using "soldering-baths" (don't know the usa name but it's large productioen pcb soldering).

Sometimes I can't get a certain resistor/cap because there's lead in the leads but right now it's pretty ok regarding items I may use in stock.

Again thanks for the tip!

Chris
            Love, peace & loudness,
            Chris
            http://www.CMWamps.com

Comment

Working...
            X