• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg SVP-1500 Protecting

Ok so I just bought this ampeg svp1500
    I also have a sansamp RBI that I use.

I run into my tuner, out to my sansamp and into the svp power amp
    I use 2 ampeg svt 4x10hlf's

I hooked it up today at practice and was jamming and all of a sudden i heard a volume decrease. Channel B had gone into protect mode but Channel A was still kicking and then after about a minute Channel A would kick off into protect as well.

I hope nothing is wrong but can someone throw me some hints?

Sounds like it is overheating. Check that it has enough ventilation, and the fan in the amp is operating.

Comment

i have it in a 12 space rack I wonder if that is causing it to overheat

what can I do to help ventilate while in my rack?

Comment

Just be sure to have enough room in front and back of the unit. The fan draws from the rear and blows out the front grille. You can always aim another fan towards the back of the rack to provide more air movement. Be sure the fan and front grille are not blocked by cables, and are not plugged with lint or dust.

Comment

Pull the amp from the rack and set it on a chair. Then connect it all up and play it like normal. If it no longer protects, then I would also think thermal. If it still does it sitting out by itself, then the amp has issues.

Is the back of the rack open?

I once had a client with some Yamaha amps that kept thermalling out. he'd bring them to me and they worked just fine. After several back and forths, he brought his whole rack in. he had three of these Yamaha amps on the rack, each with its own fan pulling air in front he front vent and blowing it out the back. Unfortunately he had added a rack panel with three fans in it to "improve ventilation." Those fans also blew air in from the front. SO those three fans were fighting the fans in the Yamahas. All the fans in the rack were blowing in, none out. SO the rack was trying to pressurize itself, but no air flow was taking place.

I told him to turn his fans around. Problem solved.

Fans require a place to blow air to and a place to draw make-up air from.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The Front and Back of my rack is open. Im going to try what you mentioned. Thanks for the advice!

What kind of issues could it be if its not thermal? Expensive ones?

Comment

Working...
            X