Average Resistance question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average Resistance question

What is the average resistance supposed to be on normal working 50v 2200uF Rubycon output transistors?
    Gibson V + Seymour Duncan Hot P-90 =

You mean capacitors, don't you?

It should be near infinite resistance, at least up in the megohms. Any leakage at all should be viewed as suspicious.
    John R. Frondelli
    dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Yeah sorry I'm very new at all this.

When I test the two 50v 2200uF Rubycon's my DMM readings jump to the Megaohms then goes to OFL.

I'm working on a crappy 100W bass amp that's not playing nice.

Comment

Sounds like they are good to me.
        John R. Frondelli
        dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Is it true testing them with a DMM may not work?

As you connect the leads for a continuity test you notice an impulse indication of resistance (which is actually the capacitor charging up from the multi-meters power source.

I've checked everything else out on this amp. One of the two 50v 2200uF Rubycon's has a slight bulge and some light color rust looking residue on the top. But it doesn’t look like a bad cap I’ve seen in other pics. The other looks fine.

I can’t find what’s making the fast blow fuse blow on the thing.

Comment

All your meter can do is see if they are shorted. A good cap will charge up from the meter and show an increasing resistance until it goes to infinite. But that test is at about one volt. The cap may work fine at 1 volt, but not necessarily at its working voltage. SO a hand meter is not much help with caps.

Some failed caps are obvious visually, but most times a cap fails and doesn;t look any different.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

A slight bulge in the cap would worry me enough to change it, no questions asked. When in doubt, swap it out. They are relatively cheap and there is very little downside to doing so.

Comment

Working...
              X