GK knobs WTF??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GK knobs WTF??

So we have a GK RB700 with 4 broken pot shafts.
    I carefully try to remove the knobs from the remaining pots and EVERY SINGLE ONE BROKE!
    What the heck are the shafts made of?
    Or are the knobs glued on?
    Oh well, anyone have a direct replacement part number?
    17mm pc mount like 10 are 50k 2 or 3 are 2K.

I had a 1001RB that I broke knobs on quite often. I just ordered replacements from Mouser. Newer GK Pots have the solder in stabilizers, which the 800RB circuit board won't have room for. See if you can get brass shafts, as the cast aluminum ones break relatively easy.

Comment

drewl, I feel your pain! I hate working on some of the Fender Bassmans (the newer style, obviously) because I think they must hammer the knobs on the shafts...same with GK. No matter what I do, the shafts always pull out of the pots. Fender must be aware of this. Whenever I get one of these in for repair, they have always sent me pots for free to replace the ones that broke. I've tried heating gently, using that fancy knob puller that guitar tech use, everything and they still pull out...
      It sucks! It makes a 30 minute job into an hour (or more) job.

Comment

Yeah I've had those shafts pull out, and sometimes you can reseat them and they're okay.
        All of these the shafts all broke right where the knurled flange starts.
        It looks like the metal is brittle.

Comment

Welcome to the world of cheaper-than-cheap Asian components. G-K doesn't have a corner on this market, trust me.
          John R. Frondelli
          dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Tell me about it!
            I've got an SWR Black beauty huge combo with a beautiful chassis and cheap stuff inside.
            The preamp is clipping/distorting like crazy.
            Power supply is good and the TL072's in the preamp are okay.

Comment

Working...
            X