marshall avt 150 overdrive problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marshall avt 150 overdrive problems

I just bought a used avt 150. I got it home and I can get great sound from the clean channels and loads of volume. on the overdrive channels 1 and 2 I have a very LOW amount of volume, I do have the overdrive sound. any thoughts??? I have check voume knobs. tried different settings . any pointers out there?? man I should have tried all the channels other than the one he showed me!! lots of great info on here! thanks for your time.

My first reaction is a bad op amp in the overdrive channel. But it could be SOOO many other things.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

thanks. is that a simple fix. or send it to the shop thing. no idea what that would cost to replace. any clue?

Comment

That was just a hunch, but whatever it is, it will require changing parts on a printed circuit board. If you are not up to that, then it needs to go to the shop.

In my shop I'd guess your repair bill would be in the $65-80 range.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks enzo! I was playing it this morning to check for any changes....no luck . there is volume of a 4 coming out (1-10) scale with the master all the way up on the od channel. suppose i could use a pedal on the clean channel. I do like equipment to function properly. how would i find a good repair shop in des moines iowa? I would try bench work and soldering if need be...i use to be a mechanic. just afraid i would cost myself more in the long run. Thanks for your quick responses!!

Comment

Des Moines is not a small town, I have to think there are competent repair shops in town. Music stores often have them, but ask local musicians who they use for service.

Comment

right on Enzo.....I did that. here's the funny part. they could tell me places I should NOT take my amp. I just bought a used fender tonight...so I will be digging in on fixing this just for the experience. where should I start? I have ohmeters and a few different testers from my mechanic days.

Comment

You need to get at the preamp board - the one with the controls - and follow the schematic. Check the output pins of each op amp IC looking for DC offset voltage. Not concerned over a fraction of a volt, it will be obvious most times, as in several volts.

Comment

Working...
                X