Anybody used this tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody used this tool

I did not want to use the word magnet in the title.

I am picking up a demagnetizer, mostly for my tools but wonder if anyone has tried one on pickup magnets. These are now going for under $30 so its not a big purchase.

Originally posted by Woodenspoke View Post
    I did not want to use the word magnet in the title.

I am picking up a demagnetizer, mostly for my tools but wonder if anyone has tried one on pickup magnets. These are now going for under $30 so its not a big purchase.

I've got one similar, one of the forumites recommended it to me.. You really have to use it with a variac because its too powerful on its own.. and then you have to find the sweet spot on it. Thats the hard part. I will say it does work though. great for faux aging a magnet... Not that I believe in that stuff! .. or maybe I do...

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
      great for faux aging a magnet... Not that I believe in that stuff! .. or maybe I do...
      Make up your mind dammit

I've used a cassette player head demagnizer, and a radio shack floppy disc eraser. I've found that a neo from stew mac works the best. That machine seems like overkill.

One thing that you have to watch out for when degaussing with a stew mac neo is that it can sap most all of the magnetism from the mag and then you would need a charger to remagnitize.
      www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
        Make up your mind dammit

I've used a cassette player head demagnizer, and a radio shack floppy disc eraser. I've found that a neo from stew mac works the best. That machine seems like overkill.

One thing that you have to watch out for when degaussing with a stew mac neo is that it can sap most all of the magnetism from the mag and then you would need a charger to remagnitize.
        I wasnt actually thinking of using this to partialy discharge magnets. But I guess if you get it high enough it may work.

Comment

Working...
        X