Longer humbucker slugs anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longer humbucker slugs anyone?

I make taller bobbins to accommodate larger amounts of 42 gauge wire.* The downside is the slugs obviously don't protrude as much below the slug bobbin and thus don't have quite as much contact with the magnet, resulting in a slug bobbin that sounds a bit weaker.

I've found stopgap solution for this by putting another steel spacer directly under the slugs and in contact with the magnet and thereby "extending" the slugs and it though it works pretty well, it's a little bit of extra work, but just finding some slugs about 2-3mm longer than standard would make life a lot easier.

Some of you are going to say, just make your own by cutting some .187" dia steel to length and nickel-plating them myself, and that will probably turn out to be the only solution, but thought I'd ask just in case.

As for making my own, what's the best way to cut the steel and then grind the ends so they are smooth and level?

*(Special thanks out to Spence, who gave me the idea to use styrene inserts to make sure the parts stay glued together -- they easily broke apart without the styrene.)

I think the quickest way is going to be a small lathe.. It depends on your volume.. I make my own on the lathe.. I estimate about a minute twenty seconds with a nice bevel.. It does work well and you can get a nice bulls eye on them. I do a cool custom 5mm one that is PAF weight.. Very cool stuff to me anyways :>

Comment

Any recommendations for a source for the steel rods, and for that matter, an affordable small lathe?

Comment

Working...
      X